Fix for stuck pixels on Canon DSLR: if it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid

AlamethAlameth Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited July 2, 2015 in Cameras
After shooting the Jupiter/Venus conjunction tonight, I was dismayed to notice two stuck red pixels on my Canon 70D. Scrolling back on the camera's LCD, it was easy to see both appeared at the start of a shoot on June 12; I just hadn't noticed them until shooting something dark. Being just 3 months out of warranty and afraid I was now in "send arm and leg to Canon" mode, I searched online and was surprised to find many sites/forums suggesting a simple fix: Just put the camera into manual clean mode for 30 seconds, power off, then power on.

Manual cleaning mode just raises the mirror so you can physically clean the sensor. How could that fix stuck pixels? Thinking this was the stupidest idea ever (one user called it a "urban legend"), I gave it a try: and it worked perfectly. No more stuck pixels.

OK, so now I know it works; does anyone here know why it might work? Perhaps the camera runs some kind of self diagnostic when put into manual clean?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited July 2, 2015
    Perhaps cleaning mode maps out stuck pixels? (If so, it may also map out "dead pixels" too.) I honestly don't know.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • The Lazy DestroyerThe Lazy Destroyer Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2015
    Huh... I had noticed a couple bad pixels recently but shortly afterward I had put it in sensor clean mode (unrelated) ... might have to go back and see if they are still there.
    Weird headscratch.gif
    ____Motoception Photography____
    www.motoception.com