Options

Storm at Folly Beach

CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
edited July 6, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
This is overlooking the marsh at Folly Beach, SC, as a big storm came up. First looking west, then looking east, and finally running for my life--but still clicking away! I would love your thoughts ...

#1 Storm coming from the West. 1/100, f/4, ISO 400
IMG_2318-X2.jpg

#2 Now looking East. You see the lighthouse in the bay, and a light from the harbor (or an airfield?). 1/50, f/4, ISO 800
IMG_2330-X2.jpg

#3 My favorite: running for my life! The wind howling and the first few drops of rain falling, it's time to get inside! 1/50, f/4, ISO 1600
IMG_2336-X2.jpg

AND NOW, anticipating your suggestions, I have already converted to BW. Your thoughts are welcome!

#4 (BW of 1 above)
IMG_2318-2-XL.jpg

#5 (BW of 2 above)
IMG_2330-2-XL.jpg

#6 (BW of 3 above)
IMG_2336-2-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2015
    Nice for you to see the storm. Looks like hand held and in a hurry.........horizons can/should be straightened out.....many more things....but that a good start!
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2015
    Looks like quite a storm. The first one holds the most appeal for me. It needs to be straightened and I considered correcting the distortion on the legs of the pier.
  • Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2015
    Very grateful for all your comments! For #1 (#4 BW), I ***straightened the horizon, ***enabled lens profile correction, ***lightened the water in the foreground, ***dodged and burned the clouds to enhance the contrasts between light and dark in the sky. Your thoughts on these changes?
    I must also say that for #3 (#6 BW) -- I'm keeping it crooked and blurry for sentimental reasons! A moment I'll always remember: 6:00 AM standing out there with tripod until the last minute. Then running like heck because the storm is here! You've reminded me of the difference between great photography and sentimental photography, a very useful distinction!
    Thank you very much for the comments and ideas. I'm wondering if I'm taking this in the right direction?

#4a
    IMG_2318-3-XL.jpg
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2015
    CCoop wrote: »
    Very grateful for all your comments! For #1 (#4 BW), I ***straightened the horizon, ***enabled lens profile correction, ***lightened the water in the foreground, ***dodged and burned the clouds to enhance the contrasts between light and dark in the sky. Your thoughts on these changes?
    I must also say that for #3 (#6 BW) -- I'm keeping it crooked and blurry for sentimental reasons! A moment I'll always remember: 6:00 AM standing out there with tripod until the last minute. Then running like heck because the storm is here! You've reminded me of the difference between great photography and sentimental photography, a very useful distinction!
    Thank you very much for the comments and ideas. I'm wondering if I'm taking this in the right direction?

#4a

Great shot Carter! You did a nice job reprocessing this one. thumb.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53