The Dreaded Errot 99. Canon

VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
edited August 9, 2015 in Cameras
Ok, So I have an old camera - a 10D. So what? I love it and it's like my wooby when it comes to photography. For about the last 3 months, I've been getting the error infrequently. Been meaning to get my camera in for some maintenance, but just haven't found the time.

For the last 3 or 4 weeks, it's moved from infrequently to after nearly 2 or 3 pics snapped. I can turn it off/on and go back to shooting only to have it happen almost immediately. I took it into my camera shop here to have them tell me that my shutter has reached the end of it's life and Canon does not work on them anymore. Really? I mean I know it's old... but $1500 back in the day and I can't even get it serviced 10 yrs later?? :huh

Phooooey!

So anyway, I've tried canned air, wiping down the sensors, cleaning the Compact Flash contacts and I've gotten a little bit further that just one or 2 snaps before it errors out.... and it seems to me that if I can change the frequency just by a little cleaning, that maybe my shutter isn't bum at all.

Anyone with experience with this? Any and all help is so greatly appreciated! Especially since I can't afford a new one.

TIA!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited July 21, 2015
    The Canon EOS 10D was introduced 12 years ago, so that's really the age of the technology you are using. While it's true that Canon no longer services that body, there are many good camera stores with a repair department who could swap shutters with another body, but the cost would be in the $250-$450 range.

The actual value of that body, if it still worked properly, is about $25 in a private sale. Obviously, it makes no sense to spend real money for repairs.

The first thing to try, before giving up on the body, is to replace the CMOS backup battery. (This will erase your camera's settings and reset the clock, so write down any important camera settings before taking out the CMOS battery.) I believe that the Canon 10D uses a CR2025 type battery, but check the camera first to be sure. If so, a local Walmart probably has that battery in the jewelry department.

If replacing that battery doesn't work I suggest that it's time to purchase another camera body.

KEH has several used Canon EOS 10D bodies, in used conditions ranging from "Bargain" through "Like New Minus", and priced from $59 through $99 accordingly. That's your cheapest route to replacing with the same model body.

https://www.keh.com/207750/canon-10d-digital-camera-body-6-3-m-p

While you're at KEH I highly recommend also looking at more current Canon bodies within your price range. More current used bodies often means better and more durable shutter box and mirror box assemblies in the camera, giving you a better value for your money, IMO.

Also check at B&H and Adorama for their used bodies as well. Some real bargains are out there in older equipment.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited July 21, 2015
    The 10D was my first DSLR when it arrived. I loved it at the time, and I still have a few images that is produced that I like; but the truth is that there are numerous newer Canon bodies in that series that offer far better sensors, significantly better autofocus, and wider useable ISO ranges, and even ultrasonic sensor cleaning later. Think a 40D, a 50D, a 7D or a 70D. I am sure you can find a 40D for under $150 somewhere. Check out KEH.com for a long listing of used cameras in various grades of usage

I agree with Ziggy, I would not spend money on replacing the shutter, but instead I would find a more recent Canon body. You can find significantly nicer used bodies than an ancient 10D - you might be surprised with how far cameras have progressed in the last dozen years. Just reflect on how a 12 year old computer or a 12 year old smart phone fares, compared with a more current one.

I am sure you can find a 40D for under $150 somewhere. Check out KEH.com for a long listing of used cameras in various grades of usage.

If you have been happy with a 10D, a good used 7D will absolutely blow you away with its autofocus and handling and ISO range. I'll bet you can find decent ones for around $500
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2015
    Completely agree with the two previous replies ... makes no sense spending far more getting your cam sorted than you'd have to spend on a more up to date model.
    A 10D (bought used) was my second dslr (D30 first) and also fell foul to the e99 issue.
    Making the effort to go out, taking pics with unreliable gear is no fun, I'd suggest?

Use the situation as an opportunity to upgrade, if at all possible.

I also still have pics from this era,and well remember this one, because of the circumstances. Using an FD lens via a home made FD /Eos converter was only one of several 'entertaining' aspects associated with taking / getting the shot :)

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1430&highlight

Re 40D ... I also have, and occasionally still use, a 40D ... and may well be using mine this coming weekend for a photo booth setup. Whilst it's unlikely it'll 'walk', it won't worry me greatly if it does, because of what it'd cost to replace it (doubtful) ... no point dwelling on what it originally cost (used) imo.

Incidentally, this 40D was also used 2 winters ago for a pic that's just been accepted for a local wildlife trust's calendar.

pp
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2015
    yeah, after 12 years it may be time to upgrade.
  • VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2015
    Thank you all for the replies!

I did not know about the CMOS battery and will give that a try before giving up completely. Thanks for all the info about used cameras and the links provided. You have all given me clear ways to get back onto the photo path.

Thanks, again. :)
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2015
    Ziggy has the right idea as usual.

I only had this once on a 40D and I removed all the batteries, left it overnight to cool down, and next day reinstalled everything and several years later it is still working fine.

Still 10D is very very old. I would jump for joy at the chance to bin it.