Options

Images upload in random order

Howard BarlowHoward Barlow Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
edited August 5, 2015 in Bug Reporting
I have uploaded several galleries, each with image file numbers. However, while most images are in number order, some uploaded randomly. The biggest problem is the number sequence remains intact, so the "moved" images are now misnumbered.

Even if I resort them, #17, for example, isn't really #17, as another image filled that slot. Now, the original 17 is another number. I can't put it back in sequence as 17, since all numbers need to move to the next image.

I've loaded these images in unlisted galleries for my family to see vacation images. Now, if they say they want #something, that number won't be accurate if it falls after the first misplaced image.

Does any of that make sense?
You don’t pay me by the hour. You pay for the years of hard work that made it possible for me to paint such a picture in only one hour! Pablo Picasso

Comments

• Options
    Lille UlvenLille Ulven Registered Users Posts: 567 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2015
    If you name your files #####_name where ##### is the file number you could just order your gallery by filename and you would have nr 17 in position 17 no matter in which order the upload occurred.

Good luck

Lille Ulven
    https://www.lilleulven.smugmug.com - The Photos of my travels
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited July 27, 2015
    Could you send us a link to the gallery so we can take a look, please?
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2015
    If you name your files #####_name where ##### is the file number you could just order your gallery by filename and you would have nr 17 in position 17 no matter in which order the upload occurred.

Good luck

Lille Ulven
    Lille,
    The images are named Name ####. Upon upload, there will be a few which are reshuffled somewhere in the mix. I have them numbered sequentially, but the numbers change. The number count is still in numerical order, the images have moved to new numbers, thereby causing other images to move to 'take up the slack'. So, no, 17 isn't 17 once it has uploaded in a wrong spot. Maybe I am missing your point.
    leftquark wrote: »
    Could you send us a link to the gallery so we can take a look, please?

I will PM the link, as it is to an unlisted gallery. If you notice, 0024 is love birds on a palm tree. That series was first in the upload, not the cloud images. Look down at 0208. That is another of them.

Now, check the goose in 0232. He should be with the rest at 0470. There are several other such errors in this group. I have uploaded seven galleries and this occurs in all of them.

Thank you both for responding.
    You don’t pay me by the hour. You pay for the years of hard work that made it possible for me to paint such a picture in only one hour! Pablo Picasso
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited July 31, 2015
    Lille,
    The images are named Name ####. Upon upload, there will be a few which are reshuffled somewhere in the mix. I have them numbered sequentially, but the numbers change. The number count is still in numerical order, the images have moved to new numbers, thereby causing other images to move to 'take up the slack'. So, no, 17 isn't 17 once it has uploaded in a wrong spot. Maybe I am missing your point.

I will PM the link, as it is to an unlisted gallery. If you notice, 0024 is love birds on a palm tree. That series was first in the upload, not the cloud images. Look down at 0208. That is another of them.

Now, check the goose in 0232. He should be with the rest at 0470. There are several other such errors in this group. I have uploaded seven galleries and this occurs in all of them.

Thank you both for responding.

Hi Howard,
    I've begun to dig into this but I've gotten a little confused. Let me ask a few questions so I can continue to look into this....

The first thing I noticed is that it looks like 2 images were unable to upload successfully. For example, the 10th image is numbered #10, but the 11th image is numbered #12. This will obviously throw a few things off.

Your gallery is sorted by filename and, as far as I can tell, it looks like it's displaying in the proper order. Are you trying to sort them by filename or by the order in which you uploaded them? Your files are all named with a number and the sort order is displaying in that order.

For example, the photo of the palm trees has a caption showing it's photo #24, and the filename is 0024.jpg, which is why it's shown roughly 24th (#23 because 0011.jpg is missing).

Additionally, the goose in in position #230 has a title of 0232.jpg, which means it's going to display right after 0231.jpg (the clouds).

So my question is: what order are you trying to sort them in and what appears to be wrong? It looks like it's properly sorting the images based on the filenames you assigned to them, no?
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2015
    leftquark wrote: »
    Hi Howard,
    I've begun to dig into this but I've gotten a little confused. Let me ask a few questions so I can continue to look into this....

The first thing I noticed is that it looks like 2 images were unable to upload successfully. For example, the 10th image is numbered #10, but the 11th image is numbered #12. This will obviously throw a few things off.

Your gallery is sorted by filename and, as far as I can tell, it looks like it's displaying in the proper order. Are you trying to sort them by filename or by the order in which you uploaded them? Your files are all named with a number and the sort order is displaying in that order.

For example, the photo of the palm trees has a caption showing it's photo #24, and the filename is 0024.jpg, which is why it's shown roughly 24th (#23 because 0011.jpg is missing).

Additionally, the goose in in position #230 has a title of 0232.jpg, which means it's going to display right after 0231.jpg (the clouds).

So my question is: what order are you trying to sort them in and what appears to be wrong? It looks like it's properly sorting the images based on the filenames you assigned to them, no?
    Ok, I think I see the trouble, then. As you mentioned, a couple of images didn't load. Several of the galleries failed to load all the files. There were 2-4 images that seemed to be "hung up" at the end of loading. They just sat there, showing a full green upload line, but never finishing. I may go back and try to reload.

I did notice, though I selected a folder each time, the images appeared in the uploader in random order. They weren't listed by file name, or by image size. So, I don't know what's up with that, but that wasn't the problem with the order they showed in.

I guess I was doing something wrong. I appreciate your looking into the matter. Like I said, I'll reload a folder and see if I have the same issues.

Thanks.