Options

Erratic Island - Alaska

bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
edited August 13, 2015 in Landscapes
The maps refer to this as an erratic. An island or boulder? It's located in the Northwestern Fjord in the Kenai Fjords National Park. 150 years ago this rock was covered by glacier.
C&C always welcomed,
-Len

ErraticIslandNWFjord2-X2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2015
    Frame it!
    Perfect light, sharpness and everything else! One of those that is forever burned in my memory!
    Cheers Len!
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2015
    Len, this is a beautiful composition. Nicely done. clap.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2015
    Very nice.
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,034 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2015
    clap.gifclap Love the title and the shot. The light on the island/boulder really makes it pop.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,187 moderator
    edited August 12, 2015
    Wonderful shot! I had never heard of this place. Quite an interesting geology lesson there, I'd bet.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2015
    Wonderful shot, Len.thumb.gif

I'm half surprised that this rock, with all the immense pressure on it over all those years, didn't " calf " or split in some fashion. The dome shape probably saved it.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2015
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Wonderful shot! I had never heard of this place. Quite an interesting geology lesson there, I'd bet.
    Wonderful shot, Len.thumb.gif

I'm half surprised that this rock, with all the immense pressure on it over all those years, didn't " calf " or split in some fashion. The dome shape probably saved it.

Take care,

Tom

Thanks Dave & Tom. Erratic Island is probably still somewhat "whole" due to it's solid (no faults) composition. It is also layered with bands of quartz and encrusted with patches of orange, green, and brown lichens.
    -Len
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2015
    Beautiful shot. If I'm being picky, I do find the rock to be a bit over sharpened which creates some fringe around its perimeter.