Options

A home made for portraits.

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited September 4, 2015 in People
Had a two-fer yesterday here in Maine. Family of 8 portrait session followed by a senior portrait. The settings around this farm were numerous. Unfortunately the guys had some issues with smiling and keeping their eyes open, but I'll be able to put a group shot together with some head or eye transplants.

1 - white farmhouse, check.
5D3_7760-X3.jpg

5D3_7748-X3.jpg

3 - red barn, check, natural cedar barn, check.
5D3_7763-X3.jpg

5D3_7774-X3.jpg

5 - then this happened. When you have 6 kids and you find these shirts while on vacation, you buy them.
5D3_7816-X3.jpg

5D3_7821-X3.jpg

7 - on to the Senior. the gray barn:
5D3_7839-X3.jpg

8 - the red barn
5D3_7846-X3.jpg

9 - the garden
5D3_7870-X3.jpg

10 - the swingset with meadow bg
5D3_7889-X3.jpg

5D3_7900-X3.jpg

12 - the barn doorway with wood stacked inside. having some trouble with the great green reflector on the ground.
5D3_7908-X3.jpg

5D3_7906-X3.jpg

5D3_7910-X3.jpg

C&C and favorites welcome. Thanks for looking. I think this family could rent out their property for photo shoots!
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• Options
    edited August 13, 2015
    anyone? Bueller?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2015
    These look really good, Jack! I think you did a great job with them.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2015
    Thanks Moose!
    -Jack

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2015
    yup..good stuff in general! love the rim lighting from the sun
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,034 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2015
    Lovely portraits of a very large and nice-looking family. Sibling #2 seems to be able to strike a pose more naturally than the others - she seems to be at home in front of the camera. I like all the shots, but #9 strikes my fancy a lot (and this girl looks more natural with the garden than posing in a group). And all the shots with the t-shirts are outstanding. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2015
    Thanks Qarik and Jo! I was pleased with the session. Especially since I didn't know about the senior until I got there, and mom said "just charge us double!" :D I had the honor of taking Thing 2's senior portrait 4 years ago (can't believe it's been that long). Indeed she is a natural in front of the camera, which her mom warned me she was not, ha!

IMG_7621-X2.jpg

IMG_7597-X2.jpg

IMG_7672-X2.jpg
    -Jack

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited August 20, 2015
    Group poses are very nice. Casual but organized. thumb.gif The senior pics are nicely posed and composed. But why not touch up the skin? We buy these expensive lenses that can make eyelashes tack-sharp, but that doesn't mean we need to make her acne razor sharp as well. I'd be happy to show an example. The last set is excellent. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2015
    Thanks kdog. These are not fully retouched yet. I posted before the senior and mom selected their favorites for retouching. I would love to hear any tips you have for dealing with skin like this.
    -Jack

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited August 23, 2015
    I really like Portrait Professional for this sort of thing because you get a lot of bang for the buck in a short amount ot time. I think a lot of the negativity you hear about PP stems from overuse, the same issues you hear about HDR, Photoshop, etc. It's a tool and the key is in how you use it. I use a very light hand with it. For your photo, I turned OFF almost every option, and used some very light overall skin smoothing. Then I used the retouch brush to go a little heavier on the problem areas, not trying to eliminate all the spots. That because I didn't want to turn the skin to plastic, which is easy to do. Then I went over those spots using the spot healing tool in PS, and voila. Total elapsed time maybe five minutes tops. http://www.desertilluminations.com/photos/i-X3R2w9g/1/X2/i-X3R2w9g-X2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2015
    kdog, thanks for taking the time. Your results are pleasing at first, however it's almost too perfect. (except for the brown area by her cheek of course - what is that?) IMO this style works on magazine covers but it's not my cup of tea for senior portraits. I'm sure others like this style for seniors, and perhaps my clients would prefer it. I suppose I could offer both. Thanks again.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited September 4, 2015
    Here's my take at one. It's not the same one as above because this is one of the girl's selections for retouching.

5D3_7897-X2.jpg
    -Jack