Options

Lightning over trees

CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
edited August 14, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
Weather turned cloudy, and temperatures dropped 10 degrees. So I checked the radar and saw big storms to the south. Grabbed my camera and snagged this shot within 2 minutes! Ha! Settings: f/8, 1/80, ISO 200, handheld. Converted to BW using a Lightroom preset which I then fiddled with. Your C&C welcome as always, with deep appreciation! --Carter

IMG_2859-3-X2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,883 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2015
    Good shot! I've never tried shooting lightning, but I can imagine it's hard. In my opinion I would like a tad more contrast in the conversion.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2015
    Good catch!
  • Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2015
    Juano wrote: »
    Good shot! I've never tried shooting lightning, but I can imagine it's hard. In my opinion I would like a tad more contrast in the conversion.

I think it must take timing and technology. The storm's timing you have no control over, of course, so I tried to remain patiently poised. I had looked at the radar to see where the action was. In this case, I guess 5-10 miles away. And south of me, which is my best view of the sky. Frankly, I was surprised --and delighted-- to catch this one! Here it is with a little more contrast, with conversion in VSCO, maybe "B5"? And the original straight out of the camera.

#2 "VSCO B5"
    i-3dxMkpn.jpg

#3 "SOOC"
    i-CjprmG2-X2.jpg
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2015
    Nice job Carter! I haven't been smart enough to capture a
    shot such as this. thumb.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2015
    Nice shot, Carter. I applaud your success in pulling it off. I've never attempted to shoot lightning. When that stuff is around, it's a real race between me and the animals looking for a place to hide.

See you,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.