bphillybphilly Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited January 15, 2006 in Technique
i was wondering how you take a sequence and make it all one picture like this:

Comments

• Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2006
    bphilly wrote:

i would like to second that requestnod.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    SCS_PhotoSCS_Photo Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    bphilly wrote:

Fast Burst mode, tripod, and a flash that does stroboscopic.

Pretty sure thats all. Oh, and some creative overlaying of the 'boarder. Nothing too complicated.
  • Options
    illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    For a sequence like this all you have to do is have a tripod and shoot in burst mode, after you do that, save the pictures, start with the first on in PS, then crop out the rider and a piece of the land around him and keep adidng a piece of every photo to the first. I hope that makes sense, its actually very simple once you get a hang of it, kind of cool as well. I've done many of BMX dirt jumping.
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    For a sequence like this all you have to do is have a tripod and shoot in burst mode, after you do that, save the pictures, start with the first on in PS, then crop out the rider and a piece of the land around him and keep adidng a piece of every photo to the first. I hope that makes sense, its actually very simple once you get a hang of it, kind of cool as well. I've done many of BMX dirt jumping.
    Hey, thanks for the new product idea for my MX customers! :) When you do the jumps, I'm going to assume wide-angle lens and manual focus? Maybe even manual exposure? This sequence shot thing looks real interesting!
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    I've done many of BMX dirt jumping.

Hi, illuminati :D

Would you be willing to make a tutorial on this for everyone to benefit? See the tutes on dgrin.smugmug.com for what we're after.

It would be a huge hit clap.gif

like one of these:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1077071
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 6, 2006
    SCS_Photo wrote:
    Fast Burst mode, tripod, and a flash that does stroboscopic.
    with nice outdoor light, you don't even need a flash. I've done this too, with cyclists. A wide angle lens is pretty necessary though, or you're going to have small subjects in order to fit the whole sequence in the frame.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    I did this a couple of years ago and was asked for a and posted a tutorial to go with it, but now can not find it. Oh well this was the shot...

7664951-L.jpg
  • Options
    GordonGordon Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    Here's one I did - 5 pictures photoshop'd into 1.... If you look closely you can see the join.

14594786-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2006
    I found the thread here for what its worth.

Stan
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 12, 2006
    I shot a series of 6 rapid frames with a 20D, and then post processed the first frame with the fellow standing on the roof. I then used the same post processing steps in RAW for the following frames, and selected the falling body with the magic wand or the lasso tool and used ctrl-V to move the selected image part to the first image - - shot with a 24-105mm lens at 82mm on a 20D. Handheld - no tripod but I was sitting down, and no wide angle lens either.
    The result is here

48701173-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2006
    the one thing that the original example (snowboard jump) has that our dgrinner examples don't, is some level of transparency. While Gordon's and Pathfinder's examples are neat, they don't give the same impression of movement. The guys who sports have really nailed the technique and there's 2 things I'd like to add:

1. transparency: put each successive image on a layer, and blend the transparency of the earlier stages. This builds up the action to the final shot which shouldn't have any transparency.

2. action spacing: to further add motion and speed, in jump, or fall, or speeding up action - bunch up the frames more at the beginning so that they space out and give the effect that speed is building. Obviously, the opposite for slowing down.

Pathfinder, I think your shot would be way more impressive if you used the transparency method. As it is, I see a bunch of guys, not one guy in motion. Make sense?

And yes, I do a lot of staring at snowboard, bmx, and mx magazines where these images are the norm and definitely in vogue at the moment. For a while a couple years ago (I'm sure as the high speed pro dslr's became available), all the pro snowboarders wanted a form of this as their calling card shot. The best snowboard magazine had a trick-of-the-month done in this manner as well.
    Erik

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 12, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    the one thing that the original example (snowboard jump) has that our dgrinner examples don't, is some level of transparency. While Gordon's and Pathfinder's examples are neat, they don't give the same impression of movement. The guys who sports have really nailed the technique and there's 2 things I'd like to add:

1. transparency: put each successive image on a layer, and blend the transparency of the earlier stages. This builds up the action to the final shot which shouldn't have any transparency.

2. action spacing: to further add motion and speed, in jump, or fall, or speeding up action - bunch up the frames more at the beginning so that they space out and give the effect that speed is building. Obviously, the opposite for slowing down.

Pathfinder, I think your shot would be way more impressive if you used the transparency method. As it is, I see a bunch of guys, not one guy in motion. Make sense?

And yes, I do a lot of staring at snowboard, bmx, and mx magazines where these images are the norm and definitely in vogue at the moment. For a while a couple years ago (I'm sure as the high speed pro dslr's became available), all the pro snowboarders wanted a form of this as their calling card shot. The best snowboard magazine had a trick-of-the-month done in this manner as well.

Eric, there are certainly numerous effects that can be added to the technique I described above - transparency, movement blur, fading of color or tone, - but they are additions to the basic moves I displayed above.

As for transparency, none of the sequential frames as shot were more transparent than the first, so I saw no reason to add that. Maybe it would work better, maybe not. ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    As for transparency, none of the sequential frames as shot were more transparent than the first..
    As shot? of course they weren't shot with different transparency.

Now I'm confused, was my mini-tutorial on what sports mags use confusing? It's really simple: multiple frames become multiple layers, transparency makes it look more like a sequence and less like multiple subjects. I don't want to over explain it. Am I?

headscratch.gif
    Erik

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2006
    Stan wrote:
    I found the thread here for what its worth.
    Worth quite a bit! ;) I was surprised you could do that without resorting to a tri-pod. Looks as if you are careful about keeping the camera level (so you don't have to rotate an image to get horizons lined up) that its not as hard as I would have thought. Cool!
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    PoindexterPoindexter Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2006
    Any idea how CS2's "Photomerge" action would work with this? Do you think it would try to line the subject up on top of itself in every shot?
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2006
    Poindexter wrote:
    Any idea how CS2's "Photomerge" action would work with this? Do you think it would try to line the subject up on top of itself in every shot?

It can work well if there is enough back ground to match up. The problem with the buggy shot was the movement of the camera and the movement of the waves making the layers distort so it was cleaner to erase the rest of the overlay.

The originals are the last 4 shots in this gallery if anyone wants to play

Enjoy

Stan
  • Options
    bphillybphilly Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    thanks everyone for responding and helping out, here's my first attempt....
  • Options
    illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    This is a shot I did a while ago. Came out pretty good.
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    bphilly wrote:
    thanks everyone for responding and helping out, here's my first attempt....

Pretty good, now try one with out a distracting background, the subject will stand out much better!
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2006
    illuminati's not allowed to post anymore. He's gonna make me dig up my lawn to build a track and relive my youth (although I really don't need anymore scars).
    lol3.gif

that sequence was nice, btw. Just wish his front wheel wasn't cut off in the last shot.
    Erik

• Options
    edited January 15, 2006