Options

More bread n butter shots

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited September 10, 2015 in People
A few shots from some of the recent business headshots I done:

CORE_August_Final-25-X2.jpg

CORE_August_Final-1-X2.jpg

CORE_August_Final-7-X2.jpg

CORE_August_Final-5-X2.jpg

CORE_August_Final-3-X2.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2015
    What the eff man! Flawless. I love em all. thumb.gif
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2015
    What the eff man! Flawless. I love em all. thumb.gif

Haha... thanks Michael. It's become a well oiled machine for me to shoot these. What I've noticed most is that because the technicals have become so 2nd-nature, I can focus all my attention on the person... guiding them to get that killer shot where they look their best, nice connection with the camera, etc. I think also, the client senses my confidence, which instills trust and relaxes them. clap.gif

My Smug Site
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2015
    Fantastically clean images.

What is the lighting setup on these?

Sam
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2015
    Here is a pullback:

PCB 64" Soft Silver PLM on the left there as main. In the back right, 24" softbox as kicker. Shovel reflector on backdrop. White reflector below and on camera right.

Ignore the green screen and the 2 small softboxes on the floor. That stuff belongs to the company for who I shot these. They use this room to shoot customer video testimonials and stuff.

11987010_10153525526675336_5962816253801263221_n.jpg?oh=e18d90efa18fac9d93a2a3ffe1518c72&oe=56718DC4

My Smug Site
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2015
    what arm are you using to hold the bottom reflector?
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2015
    Foques wrote: »
    what arm are you using to hold the bottom reflector?
    It's one of the arms for a tri reflector thing I bought on Amazon. I can post a link later.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2015
    I would really appreciate it!
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2015

My Smug Site
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited September 4, 2015
    Very nice, Alex. What's the purpose of the low horizontal reflector in front of the shovel reflector that I'm assuming is behind the subject you're photographing?
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2015
    kdog wrote: »
    Very nice, Alex. What's the purpose of the low horizontal reflector in front of the shovel reflector that I'm assuming is behind the subject you're photographing?

WOW... that pullback photo is an optical illusion. Believe it or not, the white reflector you're referring to is in front of that pink piece of tape on the floor. It's actually directly next to the gold reflector to the right of the camera. The pink tape is the subjects mark so they stood just behind the white reflector. Pretty funny though.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2015
    WOW... that pullback photo is an optical illusion. Believe it or not, the white reflector you're referring to is in front of that pink piece of tape on the floor. It's actually directly next to the gold reflector to the right of the camera. The pink tape is the subjects mark so they stood just behind the white reflector. Pretty funny though.

Alex,

I do believe and trust you when you say that the shot was taken with the horizontal white reflector in front of the subject.

But, there is no way that the white reflector and tripod are in front (closest to the camera) of the pink tape on the floor in the image you posted.

No amount of compression can put one object behind or in front of another object.

My guess is that this image was taken while setting up and the horizontal reflector was moved in front of the pink tape after this was taken. :D

Seriously thank you for posting and sharing your set up.

Sam
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2015
    Sam, I promise. Crazy huh? I didn't really notice it until Joel pointed it out.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2015
    Sam wrote: »
    Alex,

I do believe and trust you when you say that the shot was taken with the horizontal white reflector in front of the subject.

But, there is no way that the white reflector and tripod are in front (closest to the camera) of the pink tape on the floor in the image you posted.

No amount of compression can put one object behind or in front of another object.

My guess is that this image was taken while setting up and the horizontal reflector was moved in front of the pink tape after this was taken. :D

Seriously thank you for posting and sharing your set up.

Sam

I think the reason it looks so odd is that the legs that you see straight under the reflector are not the ones supporting the actual reflector.

The stand sitting right on green screen holds up the black bg.
    other stand holds the AB with a hood scoop pointed toward Bg.
    the white reflector is held by a boom arm with stand not visible in the shot.

Now, I am curious what role that softbox on the top right is playing.. :)

oh and I'm completely sold on the scoop for the AB.. I wish their dang shipping was not so expensive.. I have to wait till i can swing more toys from them to get it. :(
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2015
    Foques wrote: »
    I think the reason it looks so odd is that the legs that you see straight under the reflector are not the ones supporting the actual reflector.

The stand sitting right on green screen holds up the black bg.
    other stand holds the AB with a hood scoop pointed toward Bg.
    the white reflector is held by a boom arm with stand not visible in the shot.

Now, I am curious what role that softbox on the top right is playing.. :)

oh and I'm completely sold on the scoop for the AB.. I wish their dang shipping was not so expensive.. I have to wait till i can swing more toys from them to get it. :(

You are the man! NASA needs you now! Maybe you could take a look at the face on Mars and let them know what it really is?

Great eye and deductive powers.

I could only see the setup correctly after I read your answer twice.

Sam
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2015
    Very nicely done.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2015
    Ok, this is weird. After all that chattera bout WB's? It looks PERFECT here against the black background, which it didn't against FB white. I'm now thinking of that $&*!(&#!&# blue/black/gold/white dress thing.....!!!! headscratch.gif
  • Options
    divamum wrote: »
    Ok, this is weird. After all that chattera bout WB's? It looks PERFECT here against the black background, which it didn't against FB white. I'm now thinking of that $&*!(&#!&# blue/black/gold/white dress thing.....!!!! headscratch.gif

WOW. Thanks a lot Diva. You had me going crazy. I must've checked the skin tones on these shots on 10 different monitors/ipads/phones. It looked fine to me on all of them but I didn't want to just disregard your opinion because I trust you. Now... I'm not so sure. Laughing.gif

I kid. I kid. Isn't it so weird how subtle things like that alter our perception of color?

My Smug Site
  • Options
    I still think the red-head is off, BUT I'm gonna guess it's sunburn because it's forehead and cheeks lol. Seriously, it had ME going nuts as well because you are always dead on. I checked on several monitors too. WEIRD WEIRD WEIRD.
  • Options
    divamum wrote: »
    I still think the red-head is off, BUT I'm gonna guess it's sunburn because it's forehead and cheeks lol. Seriously, it had ME going nuts as well because you are always dead on. I checked on several monitors too. WEIRD WEIRD WEIRD.

The redhead was so sunburned. That's actually AFTER I did some color correction to tone down her redness. I didn't want to go any further with it because it would be too noticeable and I didn't really have time to discuss it with her. Like enough to know whether or not she always that red. HAHA.

Speaking of the redhead... I made this from an outtake. I sent it to her. She absolutely loved it. She wants to make it her company profile photo. Laughing.gif

21318401061_35db4690e2_b.jpg

NoUDINT-1 by Alex Sotelo, on Flickr

My Smug Site
  • Options
    HA!! Ok, so I'm not going completely gaga. Only a little bit.

Love the outtake!! Seriously, dude, I know you want to keep this "just for fun", but you are so frickin' good at it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!