Underwater Photos from Flower Garden Banks

JelleJelle Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited September 9, 2015 in Wildlife
Hello,

I am new to the dgrin forum. I typically post in scuba diving forums. However, I am interested in participating in some photography specific forums. To break the ice, here is a recent photo gallery from a trip to the Flower Garden Banks off the coast of Texas. I look forward to meeting the folks here :-)

_MG_1266-M.jpg

Jesse

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited September 9, 2015
    Jesse, I dropped by your smugmug gallery and you have some truly outstanding images.

I am particularly impressed by the clarity of the water in your images. I shot film while scuba diving in the 1980s with film, so I do know what the water usually looked like. Digital imagery allows for removal of that "noise" and your images are delightful to view. Well done!!

Post some more images here for viewers to see, Please!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
    edited September 9, 2015
    This photo is exquisite! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.

--- Denise
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2015
    Very impressive thumb.gif as are your accomplishments in underwater photography. Congratulations! clap.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• JelleJelle Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited September 9, 2015
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Jesse, I dropped by your smugmug gallery and you have some truly outstanding images.

I am particularly impressed by the clarity of the water in your images. I shot film while scuba diving in the 1980s with film, so I do know what the water usually looked like. Digital imagery allows for removal of that "noise" and your images are delightful to view. Well done!!

Post some more images here for viewers to see, Please!

Thank you very much, I appreciate the kind words. The main issue I deal with in regards to UW photography is backscatter, the floating particles between the subject and port/lens. There are techniques that I use with my strobes to reduce backscatter. My ISO is typically 100-200, so I don't have a ton of noise to deal with in post processing. I believe the big advantage over UW film is the instant feedback so I can adjust mid-dive or even from dive to dive. For wide angle, the "noise" does cause a problem due to low light conditions. I will post a few favorites soon.
    edited September 9, 2015
    This photo is exquisite! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.

--- Denise

Denise,

Thank you very much.

Jesse
    edited September 9, 2015
    Very impressive thumb.gif as are your accomplishments in underwater photography. Congratulations! clap.gif

Thank you.