Exposition Park

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited September 6, 2004 in Landscapes
I took my son to the Body Worlds exhibit at the California Science Center in downtown LA .

Took these pictures in Exposition Park . Street photography is not my strength, but I had fun taking these. Let me know what you think.

This lady was selling water and soda from her stroller:

8142927-M.jpg

8142975-M.jpg

8143094-M.jpg

8143112-M.jpg

8143217-M.jpg

8143346-M.jpg

8143415-M.jpg

8143469-M.jpg
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    I took my son to the Body Worlds exhibit at the California Science Center in downtown LA .

Took these pictures in Exposition Park . Street photography is not my strength, but I had fun taking these. Let me know what you think.

This lady was selling water and soda from her stroller:

8142927-S.jpg8142975-S.jpg

8143094-S.jpg8143112-S.jpg

8143217-S.jpg8143346-S.jpg

8143415-S.jpg8143469-S.jpg
    jwear wrote:
    I really like the one of the old guy taking the pic of the two ladies that are having tooo much fun having their pic taken.I am from L.A and took my son there a few years back when he was just a lad and found it to be great.We go once or twice a year now.jwear [i think i know now what you ment in the comment i thought it was the challenge ] too new and no experience .It was a photo of Hunter, my son, that got me into dig. pic J
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2004
    Re Dave's Street Stuff
    Uh, Dave, I will tell you what I think about your street stuff, if you tell me what you think about my landscape stuff. You can't miss it, has my name in the title, is in the landscape thread.

I know you have been a help in the past, I was just so frustrated this AM. There is one of yours I really like. By looking at mine you might be able to guess, then I will tell you.

ginger.:D
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2004
    jwear wrote:
    jwear wrote:
    I really like the one of the old guy taking the pic of the two ladies that are having tooo much fun having their pic taken.I am from L.A and took my son there a few years back when he was just a lad and found it to be great.We go once or twice a year now.jwear [i think i know now what you ment in the comment i thought it was the challenge ] too new and no experience .It was a photo of Hunter, my son, that got me into dig. pic J

Well, if you're from LA, you should check out the Body Worlds exhibit. Real human bodies that have been plastinated. Incredible. Check out the links in my first post in this thread.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited September 5, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Uh, Dave, I will tell you what I think about your street stuff, if you tell me what you think about my landscape stuff. You can't miss it, has my name in the title, is in the landscape thread.

I know you have been a help in the past, I was just so frustrated this AM. There is one of yours I really like. By looking at mine you might be able to guess, then I will tell you.

ginger.:D

Ooooh, Ginger. You drive a hard bargain.

I'm off to look...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2004
    Great Dave...
    So bright and colorful. Nice exposure. I specially like the two ladies getting their picture taken by the rose bushes and the one of the kids playing in the fountain. Seems like the pictures are best when the people are doing something, or talking to each other and you can see their faces. That's when they are most interesting to me.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
    edited September 5, 2004
    David, thanks! I, of course, love your old man photographer. I think I would have turned into a stalker and followed him around for an hour or so.

Some of your photos, IMO, might suffer from more on top with the feet cut off at the bottom, I tend to do that, too. That woman with the buggy, I remember that there was an interesting story there, it would have been nice to have that in the image. It is another one cut off at the bottom.

I would concentrate on the shot of the photographer, old man, crop the left distraction out, and I think you could have a fine photograph. As you might have noticed, I love photos of photograpers. In my case, it was the subjects who added the inerest, in your case, it is the old man, photographer. Oh, my, I would love to have the nerve to shoot them (old men) for maybe a week at a time. Old men. Old women. In all sorts of light. A great grab, or find, there, David.

Thanks for the trade off, I liked your critique of my photos. I am getting a consensus on a few, and I have a favorite, so with everyone's help, I am getting about 3 photos I expect to love! And you picked one that I like a lot and no one else has mentioned. The rocks, the ones you suggest in blk and white, I think the experience of shooting them in the surf, sitting on the rocks dealing with the wind, I think that was worth more than the photographs. Except for that weird one, double exposure, or long exposure. Where that wave came from I don't know, but I do like that. Problem is, I can't have every photo I like, even if I took them. Thanks so much.

And you do have other good shots, but I love your old man, camera and hat, included.

ginger
    edited September 5, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Oh, my, I would love to have the nerve to shoot them (old men) for maybe a week at a time. Old men. Old women. In all sorts of light.

I know what you mean. My son and I went from this rose garden to the 3rd Street Farmer's Market, a place that is hard to describe, but that brings some of the old world joy to LA, a place that is so young in so many ways. Anyway, in the Rose Garden and at the Farmer's Market, I just wanted to spend time shooting people to show their incredible variety. I think I might go back and just ask people if I could take their pictures. I could offer them a chance to buy a copy off of smugmug, even. I don't know, I'll probably chicken out. But it sounds good.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited September 5, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I would concentrate on the shot of the photographer, old man, crop the left distraction out, and I think you could have a fine photograph.
    ginger

How's this?

8163852-M.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited September 6, 2004
    Fantastic, David, just fantastic!

When you get through with that guy, could you please send him to Charleston?

I know that photo will never be duplicated, though. It is a fine, fine photo, IMO.

ginger