Resizing Images Quickly on OS X

sebpaynesebpayne Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
edited January 6, 2006 in Finishing School
Hello Everyone!

I've just signed up to smugmug today and it looks smashing! Flickr was too 'open' so smugmug looks brilliant. I'm just uploading my portfolio and various other photos but I need to resize them first! Uploadr (Flickr's uploading tool) automatically resized photos to 800 pixels on the longest side. However, 'smugmug uploader' doesn't do that :uhoh so I am looking for a small, quick programme (like ExifRenamer) that will resize a folder of photos automatically.

Just something small and painless will do. Or another solution? I'm using iView Media Pro3 for cataloging my photos and Photoshop CS2 for Camera Raw.

Thanks

Seb

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    sebpayne wrote:
    Hello Everyone!

I've just signed up to smugmug today and it looks smashing! Flickr was too 'open' so smugmug looks brilliant. I'm just uploading my portfolio and various other photos but I need to resize them first! Uploadr (Flickr's uploading tool) automatically resized photos to 800 pixels on the longest side. However, 'smugmug uploader' doesn't do that :uhoh so I am looking for a small, quick programme (like ExifRenamer) that will resize a folder of photos automatically.

Just something small and painless will do. Or another solution? I'm using iView Media Pro3 for cataloging my photos and Photoshop CS2 for Camera Raw.

Thanks

Seb

wave.gif Hi Seb,

Try the Universal Drag and Drop Uploader. It says "beta" but it really works a treat. There's an option for "Scaling of Images" turn it ON and your gigundo files will automagically be scaled to 1280px on the longest side upon upload :)

Holler if you need any more help :)

Andy
  • sebpaynesebpayne Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    wave.gif Hi Seb,

Try the Universal Drag and Drop Uploader. It says "beta" but it really works a treat. There's an option for "Scaling of Images" turn it ON and your gigundo files will automagically be scaled to 1280px on the longest side upon upload :)

Holler if you need any more help :)

Andy

Thanks for the quick reply guys thumb.gif Can anyone give me a URL for the Universal Drag and Drop Uploader? I've Googled and had no luck.

Seb
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    Why resize before upload?
    sebpayne wrote:
    Hello Everyone!

Thanks

Seb

I'm wondering why you need to resize before uploading to smugmug? I ALWAYS upload full size JPEGs.

Do you realize the following?
    • Smugmug has unlimited storage and unlimited upload so there is no need to resize images because of any service limits.
    • Smugmug will automatically create at least 5 sizes for you (small thumb, medium thumb, small, medium, larger) from the original you upload.
    • All smugmug views are created from the 5 sizes that smugmug creates, even if you upload huge originals.
    • If you want to order prints or any of your viewers want to order prints, you will wish you had uploaded originals, not resized versions.
    • You can protect your originals by not letting people see or download them (but they are still there as both an image backup for you and as the source image for any prints that are ordered).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited January 6, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    I'm wondering why you need to resize before uploading to smugmug? I ALWAYS upload full size JPEGs.

Do you realize the following?
    • Smugmug has unlimited storage and unlimited upload so there is no need to resize images because of any service limits.
    • Smugmug will automatically create at least 5 sizes for you (small thumb, medium thumb, small, medium, larger) from the original you upload.
    • All smugmug views are created from the 5 sizes that smugmug creates, even if you upload huge originals.
    • If you want to order prints or any of your viewers want to order prints, you will wish you had uploaded originals, not resized versions.
    • You can protect your originals by not letting people see or download them (but they are still there as both an image backup for you and as the source image for any prints that are ordered).

Oooh, that's a MUCH better answer!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • sebpaynesebpayne Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    Thanks for the replies. The only problem is that the files are 2.1mb each and I have 512kpbs broadband which means a lot of uploading time but I'm sure it is a good idea to upload the full sized versions. PictureSync is very neat as well - not sure about the limits for the free version but sweet anyway!

Seb
    edited January 6, 2006
    sebpayne wrote:
    Thanks for the replies. The only problem is that the files are 2.1mb each and I have 512kpbs broadband which means a lot of uploading time but I'm sure it is a good idea to upload the full sized versions. PictureSync is very neat as well - not sure about the limits for the free version but sweet anyway!

Seb

Well, now you've got something to do while you sleep! Too bad about the lack of broadband...don't know how I lived without it.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    Check out the 3rd party uploaders
    sebpayne wrote:

Seb
    If you are uploading lots of images across several galleries, I would recommend one of the third party uploaders. I, myself, use StarExplorer specifically because you can give it lists of images for a whole bunch of galleries and then it will do all the uploads across all the galleries in a completely unattended fashion. It's perfect for a mass upload across many galleries while you sleep. Since StarExplorer has been meeting my needs, I haven't kept up with the other uploaders, so there may be other good choices too.

Edit: Oops. I see you are on a Mac. StarExplorer is only on Windows. Perhaps one of the Mac folks will recommend a multi-gallery, unattended uploader.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    sebpayne wrote:
    Thanks for the quick reply guys thumb.gif Can anyone give me a URL for the Universal Drag and Drop Uploader? I've Googled and had no luck.

Seb

In your gallery, click "Add Photos" then on the subsequent page, click "we have more" (upper part of page) then select Universal Drag and Drop uploader. Once you use it once, we'll remember and default you to that when you click "add photos"