Options

Ship to stars

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited February 23, 2016 in Landscapes
Tried to combine Point-Reyes Shipwreck with stars! The bright glow at distance is due to SF city lights. In this case I thought it was working in my favor. In fact facing south, didn't even have to use light painting as glow from city lights was enough.

Edit: Also added first ever attempt at star-trails. A cloud whizzed by, so that didn't help. Also need to find a lens dedicated to night photography as the "COMA" problem, a feature of lens, where stars at the edges are distorted, causes problems at all levels including trails.

Any recommendations? Must work with canon.

Truly appreciate all kind comments and harsh criticism!

1)
1W7A9351-X3.jpg

2)
1W7A9367-X3.jpg

3)
1W7A9363-X3.jpg

4)
1W7A9372-X3.jpg

5)
1W7A9373-X3.jpg

6)
1W7A9378_copy1-X3.jpg

7)
1W7A9376-X3.jpg

8)
StarStaX_1W7A9398-1W7A9570_gap_filling-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2015
    Very well done! Good everything. I think number 5 is probably the most satisfactory composition, all things considered. Number 6 is also terrific but the boat and foreground foliage look as if they got a little too much fill flash. It would be easy to take them down a bit. Number 1 is terrific except that the clouds in that one aren't what you might have wished.

Just my reaction, FWIW.
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2015
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Very well done! Good everything. I think number 5 is probably the most satisfactory composition, all things considered. Number 6 is also terrific but the boat and foreground foliage look as if they got a little too much fill flash. It would be easy to take them down a bit. Number 1 is terrific except that the clouds in that one aren't what you might have wished.

Just my reaction, FWIW.

Thanks Don! Appreciate the feedback! I think #5 was better and it was complete accident. I was only trying to get comp so can't really see anything and just guessed. The guy standing next to me was fiddling around with his camera and his headlamp on. I didn't care because I was only trying to get comp. The accidental light painting and guesstimated comp somehow came out okay so kept it.

I think #6 is hot too.....I have to try and tone it down.......

EDIT: I did tone it down and removed the original - hope it improved.

Thanks again!bowdown.gif
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,216 moderator
    edited September 13, 2015
    Oh my! I may have to come back to this thread a few dozen times to look at all of these again and again.

EDIT: No. of times I've been back… 7
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
    Very interesting stuff here, Taz. I applaud your willingness to step into uncharted territory as you grow your craft.

#s 1, 5 and 6 are my favorites. Shots taken from the " seaward " side of the boat suffer from the intrusion of the lights on the shore. For fun, I cropped out a great deal of the sky in #6....creating a " pano-like " dimension to the scene. That image became the one that most appealed to me.

Excellent work, as usual, my friend.thumb.gif

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Oh my! I may have to come back to this thread a few dozen times to look at all of these again and again.

Thanks David! I am overjoyed!wings.gifbow
    Very interesting stuff here, Taz. I applaud your willingness to step into uncharted territory as you grow your craft.

#s 1, 5 and 6 are my favorites. Shots taken from the " seaward " side of the boat suffer from the intrusion of the lights on the shore. For fun, I cropped out a great deal of the sky in #6....creating a " pano-like " dimension to the scene. That image became the one that most appealed to me.

Excellent work, as usual, my friend.thumb.gif

Tom

Thanks Tom! You are right on! I tried your suggestion on #6 below! I like it! Hope that is what you had in mind! Yours and other's input has helped me to no end!bowdown.gif Hope, other people are smart enough to take input from seasoned veterans as it makes *all* the difference! Free of cost benefit that is *not* available anywhere else! Cheers my dear friend!thumb.gif

1W7A9378_pano-X3.jpg
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    Great idea for a shoot, Taz. I also like 1, 5, and 6, plus the star trails shot. 2 has way too much junk in it. 3 has too much light on the partial boat which isn't a good look. The red gelled boat doesn't really add anything for me. But those other four are just cracking shots, so congrats on another successful mission. thumb.gifbowdown.gif
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,884 Major grins
    bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif speechless.
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    #6 Re-do clap.gifclap
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    kdog wrote: »
    Great idea for a shoot, Taz. I also like 1, 5, and 6, plus the star trails shot. 2 has way too much junk in it. 3 has too much light on the partial boat which isn't a good look. The red gelled boat doesn't really add anything for me. But those other four are just cracking shots, so congrats on another successful mission. thumb.gifbowdown.gif

Thanks kdog! You da man! I still need to learn processing you did for the Twin-Peaks shot! Need to find more spots, I have some in mind but they require jumping the fence!:D
    Juano wrote: »
    bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif speechless.

Many kind thanks Cristobal!wings.gif
    Earache wrote: »
    #6 Re-do clap.gifclap

Thanks Eric! Always good to hear from you! I like the pano too!
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
    Yes sir, that's exactly what I had in mind. clap.gif

Man, I can just hear that boat's plaintive wails as it recounts the miseries it has endured. I mean it's that powerful of an image...at least to me. It's an image that evokes strong emotions on several levels. It has a haunting overture that just overwhelms me.

Great work,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited September 14, 2015
    Another terrific set clap.gif. 5 and 6 re-work especially.
  • Options
    Yes sir, that's exactly what I had in mind. clap.gif

Man, I can just hear that boat's plaintive wails as it recounts the miseries it has endured. I mean it's that powerful of an image...at least to me. It's an image that evokes strong emotions on several levels. It has a haunting overture that just overwhelms me.

Great work,

Tom

Thanks for your help Tom!!thumb.gif
    Richard wrote: »
    Another terrific set clap.gif. 5 and 6 re-work especially.

Thanks Richard! Always delighted to hear from you!wings.gif
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    Taz, what magic you make with your camera!!! Firstly, "T'm not worthy"! bowdown.gif
    but I will add a thought or two. I visited the thread four times before I decided to reply.
    Firstly, to me the story is a ship that will forever travel under a beautiful starry night! And with that as my chosen theme, numbers 1 and the original number 6 (I want all the sky you can give me) are my absolute favorites. The background lights in several of the others break my "dream" for the picture and as for the red tinted ship...well it appears to me that someone parked near your camera with the brake lights on. Your talent for exposing a night sky is clearly approaching perfection. You took a deserted, abandoned relic of a ship and miraculously put her on a never ending journey my friend! clap.gif
    Regards.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    I really like #1, I'd be inclined to clone out the person with the bright light. 5 & 6 are really nice. I really like #8 for it's uniqueness, but I would be inclined to clean up the lights along the edges of the shore. thumb.gifthumb

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    Taz, what magic you make with your camera!!! Firstly, "T'm not worthy"! bowdown.gif
    but I will add a thought or two. I visited the thread four times before I decided to reply.
    Firstly, to me the story is a ship that will forever travel under a beautiful starry night! And with that as my chosen theme, numbers 1 and the original number 6 (I want all the sky you can give me) are my absolute favorites. The background lights in several of the others break my "dream" for the picture and as for the red tinted ship...well it appears to me that someone parked near your camera with the brake lights on. Your talent for exposing a night sky is clearly approaching perfection. You took a deserted, abandoned relic of a ship and miraculously put her on a never ending journey my friend! clap.gif
    Regards.

Wayne, you are always too kind! I had the theme you mentioned in mind.....thus the title....so yeah sky is needed for that. However, big time gurus are suggesting pano crop so probably both have value! The red-ship was hit with red-LED in the head lamp, attempting to create "ghost ship". I didn't think it would fly!:D Thanks again Wayne!bowdown.gif
  • Options
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    I really like #1, I'd be inclined to clone out the person with the bright light. 5 & 6 are really nice. I really like #8 for it's uniqueness, but I would be inclined to clean up the lights along the edges of the shore. thumb.gifthumb

Phil

Thanks Phil! Originally my desire for #1 was to create a beam hitting from the head lamp but beam didn't work as it is too strong so that cause the low-beam to be used. Only afterwards I realized that to make the person prominent, I had to be light painting them while they were light painting the ship. I can fiddle around and try to clone them out, but LR is limited in that aspect. I can try to take it to PS but it does something to my shots where they become grainy and harsh and I am not able to figure out how to retrieve my original image that was in LR. Have to work on it.

Thanks kindly for your always valuable feedback and support! Cheers!
  • Options
    borderbraeborderbrae Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    Well done. Night photography can be addictive! Lenses for nightscapes.... I was using a Tokina wide angle f 2.8 for my nightscapes but got a lot of coma. A friend showed some photos she got with a Samyang 14mm f 2.8, fantastic. I checked reviews and comparisons and got one. I liked it so much I also got the Samyang 24mm f 1.4. Just got them late in May so haven't taken tons of images, but what I've taken I like very much. Note, these are strictly manual, f stop and lens mm do not show up on the camera or in the data. Coma is greatly reduced. I shoot the 14mm at f 2.8 and usually shoot the 24mm at 2.0 or 2.8, to reduce the coma. Over all these have been very good lenses for me. Another note, you need to test to find and mark you point of infinity focus because it will not necessarily be at the infinity sign.
    Jean
    Canon 5D Mark III, 6D; Canon 17-40 F 4.0 L; Canon 24-105 f 4.0 IS L; Canon 70-200 f 4.0 IS L; Canon 100-400 IS L II; Samyang 14mm f 2.8; Samyang 24 mm f 1.4; Manfrotto tripod
    www.borderbraeimages.com
    http://www.borderbrae.wordpress.com
  • Options
    borderbrae wrote: »
    Well done. Night photography can be addictive! Lenses for nightscapes.... I was using a Tokina wide angle f 2.8 for my nightscapes but got a lot of coma. A friend showed some photos she got with a Samyang 14mm f 2.8, fantastic. I checked reviews and comparisons and got one. I liked it so much I also got the Samyang 24mm f 1.4. Just got them late in May so haven't taken tons of images, but what I've taken I like very much. Note, these are strictly manual, f stop and lens mm do not show up on the camera or in the data. Coma is greatly reduced. I shoot the 14mm at f 2.8 and usually shoot the 24mm at 2.0 or 2.8, to reduce the coma. Over all these have been very good lenses for me. Another note, you need to test to find and mark you point of infinity focus because it will not necessarily be at the infinity sign.

Thanks Jean! That is great info!bowdown.gif
    Who knew this cost-effective option would be this highly regarded (just checked reviews on Amazon).
    I guess it doesn't have "focus confirmation beep or AF point highlight"?
    Then you have to trust your manual focusing.
    I will have to rent it and try!
    Would love to see yours shots when you have them!
    Cheers!
  • Options
    borderbraeborderbrae Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2015
    No focus confirmation or auto focus light with the Samyang lenses. You have to find and mark your point of infinity focus in the day time, then take the lens out at night. I'll start a new thread with some images since this is your head, Taz.
    Jean
    Canon 5D Mark III, 6D; Canon 17-40 F 4.0 L; Canon 24-105 f 4.0 IS L; Canon 70-200 f 4.0 IS L; Canon 100-400 IS L II; Samyang 14mm f 2.8; Samyang 24 mm f 1.4; Manfrotto tripod
    www.borderbraeimages.com
    http://www.borderbrae.wordpress.com
  • Options
    WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2015
    Dude, these are killer!! # 6 & # 8 for me! This is an awesome find and I bet you can keep getting awesome stuff by going back over time.....
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    edited September 20, 2015
    Wiren wrote: »
    Dude, these are killer!! # 6 & # 8 for me! This is an awesome find and I bet you can keep getting awesome stuff by going back over time.....

Thanks Lee! Delighted to hear that!wings.gif
  • Options
    Celtic SnapperCeltic Snapper Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2015
    Amazing set of shots, 5&6 are stunning!
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2015
    Amazing set of shots, 5&6 are stunning!

Many thanks Carl!
  • Options
    Aleksandar VasicAleksandar Vasic Registered Users Posts: 334 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2016
    Art.
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2016
    Art.

...so I hope! ;o)
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2016
    Some serious sensory overload. I had to look at these repeatedly. bowdown.gif
    #2 foreground is distracting to me because the only thing I can make out is the boat. But the rest.... wowzer - like #8. Awesome! You must have lots of patience! My favorite if I had to pick one would be the reworked #6. Stellar!!!!
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2016
    Eia wrote: »
    Some serious sensory overload. I had to look at these repeatedly. bowdown.gif
    #2 foreground is distracting to me because the only thing I can make out is the boat. But the rest.... wowzer - like #8. Awesome! You must have lots of patience! My favorite if I had to pick one would be the reworked #6. Stellar!!!!

Thanks Anna Maria! I appreciate the input. Not big on #2 myself anymore....Cheers!
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2016
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2016
    FlyNavy wrote: »
    Nice job!

Thanks kindly FlyNavy!!
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,040 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2016
    Taz - This is not good news for you and anyone else who enjoys the Pt Reyes area and photographing the shipwreck. I just read that the Pt. Reyes shipwreck has burned. Michael Bonocore posted this (https://www.facebook.com/BonocoreVisualStudios/) on his Facebook page yesterday and claims that it may have been photographers that started the fire. #1 - it's just a shame that this relic may be gone (particularly before I get a chance to shoot it!), and #2 - it is even worse if it is true that some reckless person started it trying to make a spectacular shot. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but thought you would want to know. :cry