edited September 16, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
Men%20%26%20Boys-X2.jpg
Eric ~ Smugmug

Comments

• Options
    willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2015
    This begs the question, which are men? ne_nau.gif
    It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    willard3 wrote: »
    This begs the question, which are men? ne_nau.gif

The ones with bigger toys... deal.gif
    :D
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    Nicely done! I like the light! Nice Toys!
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    I like the post processing here. The F4 Phantom and the Douglas A4 Skyhawk bring back memories of MCAS Yuma from a former life as a Navy Corpsman.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    AlexSharkAlexShark Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    Great! I'm still trying to figure what it is. USS Midway was twice taller to my eye. So... and the winner is?
    Photography is about what does not meet the eye
    Be my guest: Alex Braverman Photography
  • Options
    AlexShark wrote: »
    Great! I'm still trying to figure what it is. USS Midway was twice taller to my eye. So... and the winner is?
    It's the USS Midway - now a museum moored in San Diego Bay.
    Not having been in the Navy, it was a real treat to take the tour last year.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2015
    Earache wrote: »
    It's the USS Midway - now a museum moored in San Diego Bay.
    Not having been in the Navy, it was a real treat to take the tour last year.

Awesome place. Spent half a day on it, twice. The volunteer veterans were kind enough to give me a tour, there was much to talk about, and share the experiences.
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2015
    Cool Alex, I thought maybe you meant that you had been there… and yes, you’re right, the many volunteers, docents, and guides enhance the experience greatly… and, the ones I’m acquainted with are very kind to provide us with complementary passes!

So, let me tell a quick story; in February 2011, San Diego threw a huge celebration marking the 100yr. anniversary of Naval Aviation. I took the light-rail train down to the Bay, and on the ride, I met the two retired Naval Aviators pictured below. They proceeded to tell me a bunch of really cool stories and remembrances of their careers, including serving on the USS Midway – the gentleman on the left had his final flight and carrier landing while aboard the Midway. Both of them had started their careers in prop fighters and transitioned to jets as was necessary - from WWII thru Vietnam. When we got down to the Midway, they kindly agreed to sit for a pic and then they went aboard for the festivities… I felt extremely lucky to have met these men that day, hear their stories, and thank them for their service during that extremely dangerous period of the mid-20th century – I felt like I had met true Heros!

i-nXNZrCm-XL.jpg
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited September 15, 2015
    Thank you, Eric!

Indeed, they are true heroes. I have some shots from there I took 2 years ago. I'll go look one of these days.

I was in IDF Air Force for 5 years (not a pilot). And yet there was this instant camaraderie, as if we shared a secret no one else would fully understand. Can't even begin to explain the instant bond between the ex-military.

The carrier does look smaller on the photo than in real life. At first I thought it was USS Lexington, so pardon my confusion.

The real deal in San Diego is when USS Ronald Reagan comes to park. I look at it and cannot possibly imagine what ingenuity, what industry it takes to build such a boat! It's like a superpower in its own right.
  • Options
    bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2015