Options

Unnatural acts...

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited September 5, 2004 in Finishing School
I had to commit unnatural acts in terms of contrast and saturation (actually LAB curves) to make my browsers (mac & pc) render my challenge entry in a way that looked even close to how photoshop, iphoto, xv, &etc render it. Why?

Look here to see the progression of ever more saturated and contrasty images I went through before it looked right in the browser. You can download the originals from this gallery and look at them in PS or whatever and see for yourself how different they look.

Does anyone have a clue about this?
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I had to commit unnatural acts in terms of contrast and saturation (actually LAB curves) to make my browsers (mac & pc) render my challenge entry in a way that looked even close to how photoshop, iphoto, xv, &etc render it. Why?

Look here to see the progression of ever more saturated and contrasty images I went through before it looked right in the browser. You can download the originals from this gallery and look at them in PS or whatever and see for yourself how different they look.

Does anyone have a clue about this?

I see the same results. My pictures look dull when uploaded, or viewed in a browser. I don't have my monitor calibrated so I figured it was the problem.

Dave
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2004
    The browsers strip out your color profile. What profile are you using in PS? I've been using the ezprints profile, since I'm printing with smugmug. I find that my web postings are overly saturated compared with PS.

Also, the gamma is set differently on PC and Mac. I finally caved in and set my Mac's gamma to the PC standard. Gets things closer.

Try opening your image in PS without the profile, it should look like your browser.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    I see the same results. My pictures look dull when uploaded, or viewed in a browser. I don't have my monitor calibrated so I figured it was the problem.

Dave
    I don't think this is the whole story at all. If it were, I think they also wouldn't look right when rendered by photoshop etc. It must have something to do with the assumptions the browsers make. I really don't exaclty know. I think my monitors are pretty well calibrated. Usually, I don't have any such problem.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    The browsers strip out your color profile. What profile are you using in PS? I've been using the ezprints profile, since I'm printing with smugmug. I find that my web postings are overly saturated compared with PS.

Also, the gamma is set differently on PC and Mac. I finally caved in and set my Mac's gamma to the PC standard. Gets things closer.

Try opening your image in PS without the profile, it should look like your browser.
    I use sRGB since it's supposed to be the web standard (?). I've looked at the image in on both a mac and a pc monitor. Both are calibrated and both look the same for the browser and for photoshop.

This happens to me once in a blue moon, and I haven't been able to notice a common thread in the images that don't look the same in PS versus the browsers.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I use sRGB since it's supposed to be the web standard (?). I've looked at the image in on both a mac and a pc monitor. Both are calibrated and both look the same for the browser and for photoshop.

This happens to me once in a blue moon, and I haven't been able to notice a common thread in the images that don't look the same in PS versus the browsers.

Still, try opening the image in PS without the profile.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    Still, try opening the image in PS without the profile.
    Will do.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2004
    The same thing happens to me. With more regularity. I didn't calibrate, but I did turn up the contrast and the brightness on my monitor, as I knew mine was low.

But that doesn't explain why a shot would look one way in PS, then I bring it down, and it has gone bad. I had to redo my Challenge entry.

Why is no one looking at my thread on Nature/Landscape? Are they so bad no one wants to comment?

I just put them up this AM, but extremely early. Commenting has been done on other threads, so mine is no longer on top, and mentioned, nor is it very near the top. Still on the first page, though.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited September 5, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Will do.
    John - I posted this on the critique thread on dgrin.smugmug.com Let me know if this is helpful. I think it has helped me avoid this somewhat.

"John, I assume you are shooting the 1DMKll in the AdobeRGB color space as most people recommend. Are you using PhotoShop CS in Adobe RGB color space also? Adobe RGB images WILL be desaturated in most web browsers - smugmug removes the color space after uploading information I believe.

What I have been doing is to save my .psd files for my use in AdobeRGB, but before I upload them to smugmug as a jpg, I hit "Image" -"Mode" -"Convert to Profile" and convert the image from an AdobeRGB file to sRGB IE1966-2.1 as the destination space. I leave the "Conversion Options" unchanged with the Adobe engine and Relative Colorimetric. I leave the three boxes checked to use black point compensation, Use Dither, and flatten image. Try this and see if this does not give more consistent color to your images as seen in the web browser."

>
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin