image stabilization

studio12cstudio12c Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
edited September 18, 2015 in Technique
I recently purchased a Sony a7ii with image stabilization. I have a number of Canon lens that have image stabilization built into the lens. When using my 5dii on a tripod I turn the image stabilization off. Since the a7ii has image stabilization built into the body do the same principals apply. Should I turn the image stabilization off when the a7ii is on a tripod.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited September 18, 2015
    ... Should I turn the image stabilization off when the a7ii is on a tripod.

Yes, you should turn off any sort of image stabilization when a camera is mounted onto a tripod. A tripod is the most stabilized platform you may provide for a camera.

An exception might be when the camera/tripod is on or in a moving vehicle. In that case chip based (EIS) or optical based stabilization (OIS) might be helpful, but you would have to test both ways (with and without EIS/OIS) to be sure.

(Some professional lenses also contain OIS specific to panning stabilization, which is appropriate for camera/tripod use and a panning situation.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • studio12cstudio12c Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    Thanks ziggy
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins
    As they say, RTFM... :D

I believe some of the new Canon IS lenses will detect when they are tripod mounted, and adjust the IS accordingly. Check the manual for your Sony and see what it recommends when using a tripod.