Options

Would like drag to arrange in gallery view

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator
edited September 22, 2015 in SmugMug Feature Requests
In legacy SmugMug style, there was an option to drag to arrange pics while viewing a gallery page. That seems to be gone in the new version. I always found it useful when fine tuning the appearance after adding new pics. It is especially needed in the new collage styles--the thumbs in the organizer do not give the slightest clue as to whether vertically adjacent images will harmonize or not. It is fairly annoying to switch back and forth from the gallery to the organizer. Even with both of them open in separate tabs, you have to reload the gallery each time to see the effect of a change, while in legacy the change was instantaneous.

Edit: an alternative that would accomplish the same thing is to offer an Organizer option to display a miniature view of the live gallery instead of a thumbnail view.

Comments

• Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited September 19, 2015
    I would have mentioned to use the Organizer to arrange but the point of wondering how it will display in Collage is a valid point. Keep in mind, that it will always expand to the largest window size, so users with other size monitors and windows will see them completely differently than how you see it. It might make sense to display the photos in the order you think is best to tell your story, rather than how they become arranged on the page. Collage will always fit them so they fill the width of the page.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator
    edited September 22, 2015
    Good point about the unpredictability of the user display, Aaron. Still, one can use the developer tools in Chrome or Firefox to simulate the appearance on all sorts of devices. I wouldn't swear that the results are always correct, but they're probably close enough for my purposes. I suppose one could have those tools open in one tab and the Organizer in another (or maybe in a separate browser that's not logged in), but compared to the immediate feedback in legacy arrange within the gallery display, it's going to be pretty tedious.