Options

Nav-bar link drop downs

GibsonGibson Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
edited October 14, 2015 in SmugMug Customization
Hey Everyone

I need some help, trying to convert to the new smugmug, running into some problems.
In my Legacy nav-bar I have Home Galleries Portfolio About Contact. I've been able to recreate that on the new site pretty easily, but under galleries i had a drop down with 6 or 7 categories. In the new site when I go to add one of those categories (landscape) it seems i can only add one, it doesn't allow me to add let say cityscapes also. I'm confused

Please Help
Gibson
www.henrylucasphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2015
    Gibson wrote: »
    Hey Everyone
    Under galleries i had a drop down with 6 or 7 categories
    www.henrylucasphotography.com

"Galleries" - would be to a folder that contained all the galleries? In this case in the Menu content block, in the settings of the link to Galleries, turn on the setting to "include sublinks"

If your original "Galleries" link went to many galleries located in different folders, then add each gallery link separately (at the bottom of the links in the Menu content block, is "add" new link. Find each gallery. You can then use the mouse and drag each link to up and under (slightly to the right of) the "Galleries". "Slightly to the right" will create the hierarchy of what will show in the dropdown under Galleries.
    when I go to add one of those categories (landscape) it seems i can only add one, it doesn't allow me to add let say cityscapes also

I'm not sure what this part means. By categories do you mean folders? If Landscape is what you want to populate under "Galleries", and it's a folder that's not located in the original "Galleries" folder, then add the link to Landscape and move it up, under, and to the right slightly under Galleries. Turn on or off the sublinks as you wish.
  • Options
    If your top link to "Galleries" is not supposed to open directly to a folder or gallery, it's just a header meant to direct people to all the sublinks under it, that's okay. Add a link, give it the title "Galleries", but then do not choose a URL or page. Continue to add the sublinks to the various folders or galleries you want to populate.

When the viewer clicks "Galleries", "Galleries" won't be clickable, only the items under it will be.
  • Options
    ChancyRat
    Your 2nd thread was exactly what I was looking for. I did exactly what you said and it work fine. after adding sub-links i just head to indent them under galleries. Perfect
    Thank You
    I have another question, in Legacy Smugmug I had an about me Page, I created a gallery page and my about me appeared in the new Smugmug but how do I modify it. Do I make that gallery a custom gallery?
    Thanks again
    Gibson
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    I have another question, in Legacy Smugmug I had an about me Page, I created a gallery page and my about me appeared in the new Smugmug but how do I modify it. Do I make that gallery a custom gallery?
    Did you make a page or a gallery? In new SmugMug I recommend using a page for your "about me".

To edit a page, open the page.
    In the header, click Customize, Content and Design. Then on the right select "Just this page". You can drag new content elements onto the page, or you can edit existing content elements. To edit, hover over the content element then click the wrench icon.

See help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1210637-how-do-i-create-and-customize-pages-.

--- Denise
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    When you create a Page I think it defaults to "Just This Page". So it should already be set to that.

They are blank pages only showing site stuff like your logo, menu and footer.

You can add photo boxes, text or html boxes, comment box to the page.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2015
    Thanks everyone for your help
    I created my about page and added photo's Worked out great. Thanks for your help.
    I have a question before i unveil.
    1. In my nav-bar when I click on Portfolio I get a folder which i have to click on it to open, I want to be able to click portfolio and open all photo's in a landscape collage.

Thanks Gibson
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2015
    I have a question before i unveil.
    1. In my nav-bar when I click on Portfolio I get a folder which i have to click on it to open, I want to be able to click portfolio and open all photo's in a landscape collage.

Thanks Gibson

Where are all the photos located - in a gallery, I assume. Change the link in your navbar to go directly into that gallery. It sounds like currently you have the link set to a folder.

FYI there does not have to be a relationship between the titles of your navbar links, and your folder/gallery/page organizational structure or titles.

So this link, where portfolio is a folder and newest-photos-gallery-in-portfolio is a gallery:
    hompagename.com/portfolio/newest-photos-gallery-in-portfolio/

could be named in your Navbar simply as: Portfolio
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2015
    ChancyRat
    your right when I click on Portfolio in my nav-bar it goes to a folder titled "Best Fine Art". How do I change it to a gallery?confused.

Gibson
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2015
    ChancyRat
    your right when I click on Portfolio in my nav-bar it goes to a folder titled "Best Fine Art". How do I change it to a gallery?confused.

Gibson

In the navbar content block, click the link whose address you want to change, and then click "Pick One" Navigate to the folder where the gallery is and choose it.
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2015
    Thanks, That was easy,
    Gibson
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2015
    Thanks, That was easy,
    Gibson

Great!
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2015
    Just Unveiled, excited. Noticed my Homepage slideshow has too much space between it and the header and also footer.
    Do I need to increase the size of the slideshow or bring down the header and up the footer.
    Not sure I know how?
    all other pages seem to be ok
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Gibson
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2015
    Just Unveiled, excited. Noticed my Homepage slideshow has too much space between it and the header and also footer.
    Do I need to increase the size of the slideshow or bring down the header and up the footer.
    Not sure I know how?
    all other pages seem to be ok
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Gibson

You may want to give your site address so that code-experts can see it?
    I'm not sure about slideshows, as I don't use one myself. Check:
    - is there a triangle, next to the wrench, on the upper left corner of the content block of the slideshow? if so, check and see if there are options for margins, and if one of them is too large.
    - In Customize mode, under the right side tab for layout, check the Sections sizes for header and footer widths.