i can see my breath

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited January 7, 2006 in Holy Macro
For those of you who don't know, my doctorit (doctorate) is in complex fluid dynamics. Naturally, I'm fascinated by cool fluids phenomena in everyday life. This time of year, its the awesome swirling and eddying as you breathe into a cold winter evening. I stood by my garage floodlight last night breathing for like 10 minutes before I dragged MrsIt out so I could try and capture it.

Wasn't easy.

But I got this:

51207095-L.jpg

It took some trickery. Tripod mounted, I had to tell my model to stay as still as possible (which was annoying since the motion sensor light quit on us halfway through :wxwax) so I could take two exposures - one for the breath, and one for the face. I wanted to just be able to do it with one RAW image, but the range was just too great, it wouldn't work. It was a full 5 stops or so difference.

I'm pleased with the photo, but the breath doesn't have the awesome swirls, eddies, and dynamics you can see with your eye. I'm thinking if I had a speedlite, I coud freeze it, but alas, this was the best I could do.
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    Very cool, cool shot.
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    awesome shotthumb.gif glad to see you're up and about, and out in the cold to catch another infection! rolleyes1.gif butt thats how things go for a photographer eh? anything for that shot.
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    Yes,very cool shot Docthumb.gif
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 6, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    thats how things go for a photographer eh? anything for that shot.
    it's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it.
    Erik

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited January 6, 2006
    Hey Erik
    First, cool shot (shots). thumb.gif

Second, save that idea for the "It's Frikk'in Cold Out Here!!!" Challenge theme coming in February. :D

Hey, I had better make that theme suggestion soon so we can vote on it for when its my turn to manage it next month. lol3.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited January 7, 2006
    Have you tried using different lighting? Like lit from below with 1/4 power
    flash or something? Keep the other light for the warmth too.

Very cool shot.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2006
    Awsome!
    DoctorIt wrote:
    For those of you who don't know, my doctorit (doctorate) is in complex fluid dynamics. Naturally, I'm fascinated by cool fluids phenomena in everyday life. This time of year, its the awesome swirling and eddying as you breathe into a cold winter evening. I stood by my garage floodlight last night breathing for like 10 minutes before I dragged MrsIt out so I could try and capture it.

Wasn't easy.

But I got this:

It took some trickery. Tripod mounted, I had to tell my model to stay as still as possible (which was annoying since the motion sensor light quit on us halfway through umph.gif) so I could take two exposures - one for the breath, and one for the face. I wanted to just be able to do it with one RAW image, but the range was just too great, it wouldn't work. It was a full 5 stops or so difference.

I'm pleased with the photo, but the breath doesn't have the awesome swirls, eddies, and dynamics you can see with your eye. I'm thinking if I had a speedlite, I coud freeze it, but alas, this was the best I could do.

How mystical is that shot hey thumb.gif I think its a beauty.....hmmm can't try that kind of shot where I live cause I don't know what cold is rolleyes1.gif we don't even get frost ....... fantastic detail too, man that's a great shot, dang it I wanna try that too ... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2006
    I like it, but as you say the cloud itself is a bit blah. Not sure how you would be able to do any better without a strobe, though.

Did you see this thread? Nice fluid dynamics on display.
    edited January 7, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Have you tried using different lighting? Like lit from below with 1/4 power
    flash or something? Keep the other light for the warmth too.

Very cool shot.
    Ian, you read my mind - this is exactly what I wanted to do. You wanna send me a couple SB-800's so I can pull it off? (In my big recent switch, I haven't aquired a flash yet)
    Erik

edited January 7, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I like it, but as you say the cloud itself is a bit blah. Not sure how you would be able to do any better without a strobe, though.

Did you see this thread? Nice fluid dynamics on display.
    I did. Did I mention I need a strobe or two? umph.gif
    Erik