How's This For New?

Murphy66Murphy66 Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
edited January 12, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
Not too artsy fartsy but I'll bet it invokes a certain emotion :D

A multitude of thanks to my loving wife who bought this for me as an after Christmas present!
www.MarcottePhotography.com is my portfolio and www.StudioMarcotte.com is my blog.

Comments

• 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    Congrats and good luck with it...
  • illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    That is very new !!!!!!!! If I only had the $$$$$$$. Good luck with it. thumb.gif
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    And I was going to use this idea with a new dust buster my husband bought today. :cry :cry rolleyes1.gif Congratulations!! I am soooo jealous. Not of the photo - although I think it is a really good idea for the challenge, but of your new equipment. Enjoy it in good health. thumb.gif

Virginia

Email
  • NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    Very nice gift! I got to try one out last week. Its awesomeclap.gif Yes, I can imagine the excitement.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    Uh, I was thinking of voting for this if it made the finals, are you going to enter it?

Congrats on the camera, I am not going to speak to that, but yeah, it "spoke" to me, and it has "NEW" written all over it, and you know that idea is being struggled with by many.

That chicks shot is going to be a fave, IMO, first time I saw it, just now, but I cannot forget this shot of yours!!!!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    I'm jealous. You'll have to let us know how you like it.
  • Murphy66Murphy66 Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    Ginger - if "that chick's shot" that's going to win is the picture with the palm trees, then that's my wife's shot. As much as I would support her, if she does win, I may never hear the end of it! :D

Aero-nut - It's just one of those life changing things. Getting to see full wide angle shots in digital is incredible. And the 3200 ISO is amazing. "Low Light" has been completely redefined for me. In my opinion, the photographic and artistic options it opens up are well worth the dollars. The combination of the 5d with the 50mm f1.8 is a brand new world, believe me.

But I do admit that I am a lucky, lucky man to have a wife who understands that. And I should also tell everyone that she inherited the Digital XT when the 5d arrived so expect her to start posting soon.

I'm just not sure if I can allow her to borrow the 5d if she's going to out shoot me!
    www.MarcottePhotography.com is my portfolio and www.StudioMarcotte.com is my blog.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    Well, well. The finals could get pretty interesting if two shots from the same family make the top ten. :D I do think that any "chick" photographer who gives her man a 5D when she doesn't have one herself is a real gem and entitled to lots of kudos. Maybe even a big challenge win too!

Good luck to you both! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Email
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    I actually meant the chickens, but the palm trees was the first shot I thought defined "new", and it is very good. It is another choice of mine. So, as Gina said, cool beans, I hope you both make the finals!!!!

Yeah, I won't even let Bill outshoot me. I settled that in 1987 when we were dating. He was going to teach me how to take photos, I asked him what he thought he was doing. We both took some photos (I had a film Nikon, a good camera). Now and since, well, he rarely shoots with me.

And, honestly, I usually always outshoot him, if he does. But it is my passion, it is his job, and just something he does. Totally different.

Now you and your wife, that really sounds interesting because it is interesting that you two both did shots I remember very favorably for this challenge!

ginger (I just saw them on the challenge. Sticking together aren't you! I do like that selective color on baby palm, liked it when I first saw it!) Were you with her?
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • photonphoton Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    Hilarious...
    Murphy66 wrote:

A multitude of thanks to my loving wife who bought this for me as an after Christmas present!

Sorry, I just have to say that is hilarious! I took the very same shot with my brand new 20D last Feb -- but yours has better lighting! (I didn't have an external flash at the time).

Good 'interpretation' for the contest... Good luck to both you and your wife!
    photon
  • aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    Murphy66 wrote:
    Ginger - if "that chick's shot" that's going to win is the picture with the palm trees, then that's my wife's shot. As much as I would support her, if she does win, I may never hear the end of it! :D

Aero-nut - It's just one of those life changing things. Getting to see full wide angle shots in digital is incredible. And the 3200 ISO is amazing. "Low Light" has been completely redefined for me. In my opinion, the photographic and artistic options it opens up are well worth the dollars. The combination of the 5d with the 50mm f1.8 is a brand new world, believe me.

But I do admit that I am a lucky, lucky man to have a wife who understands that. And I should also tell everyone that she inherited the Digital XT when the 5d arrived so expect her to start posting soon.

I'm just not sure if I can allow her to borrow the 5d if she's going to out shoot me!

I hear ya. My only problem with making the decision to go with the 5d vs. the 20d is that I have a couple EF-S lenses, and from what I understand, only the 20D and Rebels are compatible with the EF-S glass. Is that true?
  • Bandit959Bandit959 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2006
    Hey Murphy .....
    I showed your post to my wife and told her she was slacking in the After Christmas Gift department. I didn't get a camera, but I got a new B&H Catalog ... Hmmmmm I wonder what that means. :D

Seriuosly, good luck with the new camera and it's a fun shot!

Murphy66 wrote:

• Murphy66Murphy66 Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    Bandit959 wrote:
    I didn't get a camera, but I got a new B&H Catalog ...

Did she hand it to you or hit you with it? That could be a clue as to what you're getting.
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2006
    aero-nut wrote:
    I hear ya. My only problem with making the decision to go with the 5d vs. the 20d is that I have a couple EF-S lenses, and from what I understand, only the 20D and Rebels are compatible with the EF-S glass. Is that true?

Yeah, the 5D won't take EF-S lenses, Canon even have that in the specs. Supposedly the EF-S lenses are only compatible with the small format CCD sensor based cameras because they smaller sensor has a smaller mirror, which takes less space when it flips up, which allows the lense to stick in farther. I really suspect this is a temporary thing, I don't think they'll keep making the small sensor D-SLRs for long, so EF-S glass is likely to be a relatively short lived phenominon. (of course that's just me thinking, I could be all wet.)

This whole thread actually brings to mind a conversation a couple years ago when everyone at work was getting their first digital... we had a "bring in your IMG_0001.jpeg thing" where everyone brought in their first shot. You know the ones... usually they're too embarassing to admit to. In that case, we allowed folks to disavow admission of their ownership by changing the owner of the file on the system we put them on to something innoucuous, namely "nobody" since it was a unix system.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/