Senior Pics

Kevin PaulKevin Paul Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
edited October 31, 2015 in People
Wanted to share a few recent pics. I haven't retouched them yet, just did some color correction on import. Would love to here your thoughts

Also... how do you guys post pics on here? The file size is so small. I hosted these offsite.

Thanks for looking.

150923Rae-160_zpsbf58gxza.jpg

150923Rae-113_zpsvdeztdyg.jpg
150923Rae-52_zpsw38mlgev.jpg
150923Rae-137_zpsupgbeqsu.jpg
150923Rae-107_zps7imatb3r.jpg
150923Rae-2_zpsn6tfzio7.jpg

Comments

• jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2015
    These are great except they look more like a fashion shoot than a senior portrait. Although the light on her eyes in the first shot puts me off a bit. The 2nd shot is my fav. If this style is popular in the other Portland these days then I'd say you nailed it. I just think in 20 years she'll be wondering what she was thinking. I'm getting a Danica McKellar vibe from some of these.

You did it right, hosting pics on another site is the way to go.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2015
    I agree with J. These do indeed have a fashion vibe. that said, 2 and 5 are stellar in my book.
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    Where I agree with both Jack and Bryce I think these are great regardless if they have a fashion feel to them or not. I hate cookie cutter senior pics as the way they were done 20 years ago is drastically different then what is done now. Some are better than others, but I actually like when senior pictures aren't the norm. Also this tends to be the trend that seniors are looking for. 2 and 5 are the best imo.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    Also this tends to be the trend that seniors are looking for in my area.

fixed that for you.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Kevin PaulKevin Paul Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    Thanks to everyone for the compliments. #2 and #5 are by far my favorites as well. So much so it got me to share some pics on here for the first time. I have always approached Senior pics leaning more towards the fashion side. Been shooting them this way for about 15 years. I do find this look to be popular with Seniors. I've been getting farther and farther away from the flat lit f1.4 shots with blurry backgrounds next to a tree and more into this kinda stuff, it gets referrals. One of my clients last year told me they could go through their yearbook and know which ones I had shot, which I think is a compliment... I hope... :D

Jack- The light in the first pic bugs me a bit too. That window she is standing in is actually 7 feet or so in the air. So her head is about 13 feet above the ground level. I couldn't get my light stand to go in higher. Probably woulda helped to bring the light over a bit towards camera too. I still like it though. Just cuz it's a bit different. If your not sure if this would work in your market you could always throw in one or two and see how people react. That is how I started. Funny thing, now I throw in 1 or 2 safe (more traditional ones) just in case.

Bryce- Thank you very much. I went in PS with #5 and fixed the building a bit and added a seperation light to her hair on the right side there. That pic is now the background on 3 of my social media outlets. It was a lotta fun to shoot.

Dooginfif20- Thank you. Funny on the cookie cutter pics. I worked for the PNW's cookie cutter Senior picture factory for many years. Nice to be stretching out of that roll with my own business
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    These are really lovely. Love that you have light modeling on the face, it is an example for all to follow. As photographers we must remember that traditional artists paint with colors but we as photographers paint with light only.
  • StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    I love these--and, to me, the look is very Pacific NW and very cutting-edge.

2, 3, and 5 are the stand-outs for my taste. 2 especially--she looks beautiful and I love the contrast between her retro, floral dress and the hard edges of glass and steel. Were these shot in PDX? If so, would you mind saying where precisely number 2 was shot? I might want to wander by with my son when we are there next.
    I love these--and, to me, the look is very Pacific NW and very cutting-edge.

2, 3, and 5 are the stand-outs for my taste. 2 especially--she looks beautiful and I love the contrast between her retro, floral dress and the hard edges of glass and steel. Were these shot in PDX? If so, would you mind saying where precisely number 2 was shot? I might want to wander by with my son when we are there next.

Thank you very much.

#2 was shot at Tanner Springs Park in the Pearl District. That particular shot was taken about ten feet from the corner of 10th and Madison. Great little park there. I start clients there then walk down 10th street ending at 10th and Jamison, where the windows from the first pic are. Lots of great spots on the way.
  • StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    Thanks, Kevin! I will have to check that out. I know exactly where that is, but it has been a while since I've walked by that park. The Pearl has changed so much since I moved away--I love it there and can imagine that there are many wonderful places to shoot.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2015
    I really like this set, different from the standard senior portrait. With camera phones getting better, and more and more people picking up cameras, this is a way to be different. I am finding more and more seniors want the fashion look. There are not too many senior photographers that can pull that look off.
    edited October 18, 2015
    jonh68 wrote: »
    I really like this set, different from the standard senior portrait. With camera phones getting better, and more and more people picking up cameras, this is a way to be different. I am finding more and more seniors want the fashion look. There are not too many senior photographers that can pull that look off.

Thank you. It is fun to do.
  • Aleksandar VasicAleksandar Vasic Registered Users Posts: 334 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2015
    Bravo:)