Outdoor portrait of my wife and pup

Mike AMike A Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited January 7, 2006 in People
Comments welcome...beginner learning here. D50 w/ kit lens..

44580512-L.jpg
Mike A.

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    very nice.....nice dog too except something got its attention before the shutter went off...:D

Of course mine hides when I take out the camera...rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    Welcome to Dgrin Mike! Good luck with the camera. There is ton of info here thnxs to folks like DavidTO and Rutt on adding pop to your imagine. Stick around and you will learn alot. Nice first post, beautiful wife and pup..
  • SirArmstrongSirArmstrong Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    Welcome to dgrin. Good photo - be sure to share the results of your new "toy." :D
    Steve

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."

Ansel Adams
  • 1ibandit1ibandit Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2006
    Nice photo, and as said it would have been nice if the dog had not looked away. Also nice to have a good looking model/wife to work with.
    1iBandit
    "Take what is given, and steal the rest."
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2006
    great picture! i love the light and your dog and wife both look terrific.

the blue thing below the dog(leash?) and the piece of fabric or whatever that is draped off your wifes leg are a little bit distracting.
  • ShannonWShannonW Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2006
    Welcome to DGRIN! :D

I like it as well. I agree with all the other posters about the photo. The only thing that it lacks for me is seeing into your wifes eyes. Try using a fill flash to get catch light in her eyes.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2006
    I love the little bit of sunburn on your wife's nose.

And her youth, etc. I think you captured her very well. Oh, the dog is a nice addition, smile.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Mike AMike A Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2006
    Thanks for the comments! Sebastian is pretty tough to photograph sometimes since he is all black with dark brown eyes. He has giant white teeth though.. rolleyes1.gif
    Mike A.
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2006
    Nice photo Mike. Get our family dog to pose for a picture has always been near impossible. And now with an 8.5 week old pup, trying to photograph him has been a lesson in frustration ... oops, ... patience ......!!!:D

Anyway, I think this photo would look great if you cropped it fairly tight between the knees and head of your wife. In a 5 x 7 or 8 x 10 format, you'll see plenty of the dog and it gets rid of a few distracting elements.

What I do when I take a picture like this with my wife and dog, I get my wife to gaze in the same direction as the dog (since it's a lot easier than getting the dog to look towards the camera). In this case, you could have had them both looking to your left and it would have still been very pleasing.

The lighting was nice. You can see a catch light in your dog's eye. That's why a previous post suggested a flash to highlight your wife's eyes. Having her look towards the same light source as the dog might have done the trick, but fill a little fill flash usually does the trick.

Dgrin has many very special members that are always around to help. Welcome to Dgrin and I look forward to seeing more dog pictures.

Brad

P.S. Speaking of dog pictures, somewhere here there is a thread called "Dog a Day" or something like that. Will have to go find it and post a puppy picture myself ...
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2006
    Hi Mike wave.gif Welcome to Dgrin!