Options

Old Smugmug Gallery Style

shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
edited October 6, 2015 in SmugMug Customization
Hi guys,

So i got the dreaded "You have 11 days to move to the new SM" email. I created a galleries page where I have added 6 of my galleries - but how do i get the URL for this main galleries page? Not sure what I need to put into the Navbar.

Thanks much,

Comments

• Options
    TeetimeTeetime Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2015
    shniks wrote: »
    Hi guys,

So i got the dreaded "You have 11 days to move to the new SM" email. I created a galleries page where I have added 6 of my galleries - but how do i get the URL for this main galleries page? Not sure what I need to put into the Navbar.

Thanks much,

In the Navbar where you specify your links you can select to link to a page, so just select your main galleries page by name.
    Jerry

• Options
    edited October 4, 2015
    Teetime wrote: »
    In the Navbar where you specify your links you can select to link to a page, so just select your main galleries page by name.

Thanks - but that is my confusion. What is this main galleries page name? When I customized, I dragged six of my galleries under "All Galleries" and I can see them in that view. However, when I now edit the Navbar, I can't see any way to link to the main galleries page (that contains these six galleries). I have attached an image of my "All Galleries" page - how do I get the link for this? Each of these individual photos will link to the actual galleries. Do I just type in "All Galleries" in that input box?

Cheers,
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2015
    Go into one of the galleries and look at the breadcrumb or browser URL.
    Or look in Organizer where you will see the whole tree structure.
    ...hahi.com/Landscapes/Landscapes/...
    ...ahi.com/Animals/Nature/...
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2015
    Allen wrote: »
    Go into one of the galleries and look at the breadcrumb or browser URL.
    Or look in Organizer where you will see the whole tree structure.
    ...hahi.com/Landscapes/Landscapes/...
    ...ahi.com/Animals/Nature/...

Hi Allen - that is for individual galleries. I wanted to know what would be the URL for the page that contains all the listed galleries (i.e. when people click on the "galleries" in the Navbar, they get directed to this main galleries page that lists 6 of my galleries.

I guess I am not explaining my question well unfortunately.

EDIT: Never Mind - it seems I needed to create a Galleries folder in Organize. And now it shows up.

Cheers,
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited October 5, 2015
    EDIT: Never Mind - it seems I needed to create a Galleries folder in Organize. And now it shows up.
    nod.gif Galleries cannot contain galleries. Only folders or pages can contain galleries.
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2015
    Hi Allen - that is for individual galleries. I wanted to know what would be the URL for the page that contains all the listed galleries (i.e. when people click on the "galleries" in the Navbar, they get directed to this main galleries page that lists 6 of my galleries.

I guess I am not explaining my question well unfortunately.

Cheers,

Do a little reading up in smugmug's help pages about galleries, folders, and pages. Each one has a different use and it sounds like you'd be better off either with a page or a better folder structure on your site so you don't need a custom folder here. If your site only has a few galleries, you might not need a very deep folder structure. Maybe they can all be in one folder. Otherwise you might be making your site more complicated and slower to navigate than necessary.

If all your galleries are already in the same folder, you don't need a special custom page top show them. You'll just want to set up all folders with a galleries content block set to the current location. Then if you expand your site later and add more folders and more galleries, the navigation will kind of take care of itself and you don't need to keep editing a page or menus.

Take the time to set things up now and you'll save yourself from a lot of headaches in the future.

Dave
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2015
    pilotdave wrote: »
    Do a little reading up in smugmug's help pages about galleries, folders, and pages. Each one has a different use and it sounds like you'd be better off either with a page or a better folder structure on your site so you don't need a custom folder here. If your site only has a few galleries, you might not need a very deep folder structure. Maybe they can all be in one folder. Otherwise you might be making your site more complicated and slower to navigate than necessary.

If all your galleries are already in the same folder, you don't need a special custom page top show them. You'll just want to set up all folders with a galleries content block set to the current location. Then if you expand your site later and add more folders and more galleries, the navigation will kind of take care of itself and you don't need to keep editing a page or menus.

Take the time to set things up now and you'll save yourself from a lot of headaches in the future.

Dave

Hi Dave - I have been able to get my site to where it needs to be. Richard and Allen were able to help me out.

Thanks,
  • Options
    JenuineJenuine Registered Users Posts: 155 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 6, 2015
    Hello Nikhil,

I am happy to hear that you were able to get things sorted on the navigation issue. Sounds like you received some great advice fro Richard and Allen. If you need any further assistance in getting the site ready for migrating to New SmugMug don't hesitate to contact us at help@smugmug.com.

Cheers,

Jen
    Support Hero
    Jen
    SmugMug Support Hero