Options

Page Title

shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
edited October 7, 2015 in SmugMug Customization
Hi guys,

1) I changed the page title, but see that the new page title (Nikhil Shahi Photography), only shows up on the homepage. If you click on galleries, you can see that the page title is "shniks-galleries". Any ideas how to change the Page Title site wide?

2) I created a Favicon and am trying to upload it to a gallery. However, when I try and upload it, I get an error message saying unknown file type. I tried both .ico and .jpg extensions. Any idea why it won't let me upload to the gallery? I wish there was a way to directly upload the favicon without uploading to a gallery.

Cheers,

Comments

• Options
    Hero AmandaHero Amanda Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2015
    Hi Nikhil,

1) If you change the Display Name in your Profile, that will update the title across your site. To do that, click on your profile image in the top right> Edit Profile.

2) The image will need to be a jpg, png, or gif in order to be uploaded to SmugMug. Uploading a jpg version of your favicon should do the trick. Although you changed the extension on the filename, the file is probably still ico. To truly change the file type, you'll need to save it as a jpg in Photoshop, or whatever program you're using to create the image. Once that's done, you should be able to upload it to an Unlisted gallery and use it as your favicon.
    All The Best,
    Amanda
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2015
    Hi Nikhil,

1) If you change the Display Name in your Profile, that will update the title across your site. To do that, click on your profile image in the top right> Edit Profile.

2) The image will need to be a jpg, png, or gif in order to be uploaded to SmugMug. Uploading a jpg version of your favicon should do the trick. Although you changed the extension on the filename, the file is probably still ico. To truly change the file type, you'll need to save it as a jpg in Photoshop, or whatever program you're using to create the image. Once that's done, you should be able to upload it to an Unlisted gallery and use it as your favicon.

Thanks for the reply Amanda.

1) I did change the Display Name in the profile - however the title is only showing up on the homepage. It might be a bug at Smugmug's end. Could you please confirm?

2) I did save the favicon as .jpg and it works great now in Chrome and Firefox. However in I/E the favicon does not show up.

Cheers,
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2015
    shniks wrote: »
    2) I did save the favicon as .jpg and it works great now in Chrome and Firefox. However in I/E the favicon does not show up.
    The favicon not showing in IE has been a problem for many years. Although just noticed mine does show now in IE.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2015
    the title is only showing up on the homepage.

I am not completely following the problem or the solutions so far offered - but - do you need to have your title in "entire site" and not just home page?
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2015
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    I am not completely following the problem or the solutions so far offered - but - do you need to have your title in "entire site" and not just home page?

There is no such option. This title needs to be entered in the Account Settings --> Discovery --> Search --> Site Meta Title

I would assume this applies to the entire site, not just homepage (as there is no option to select a specific page).

Cheers,
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2015
    There is no such option. This title needs to be entered in the Account Settings --> Discovery --> Search --> Site Meta Title
    I would assume this applies to the entire site, not just homepage (as there is no option to select a specific page).

Cheers,

Are you saying it should show up in the URL of the browser window? I see your full site name in Galleries or in one gallery.
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2015
    Are you saying it should show up in the URL of the browser window? I see your full site name in Galleries or in one gallery.

No it needs to be in the title bar. Please see the top left corner of the attached picture (area circled in black). That should say "Nikhil Shahi Photography" instead of taking on the galleries names.

Cheers,
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited October 7, 2015
    No it needs to be in the title bar. Please see the top left corner of the attached picture (area circled in black). That should say "Nikhil Shahi Photography" instead of taking on the galleries names.
    I believe it was changed a long time ago so the title bar text starts with the name of the gallery (or page or folder) that you are viewing followed by the site name.

I remember needing a hack years ago to make this happen but that hack hasn't been needed for a long time.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2015
    I believe it was changed a long time ago to start with the name of the gallery (or page or folder) that you are viewing followed by the site name.

--- Denise

Thanks Denise - then it makes sense and it looks to be following that rule.

Cheers,
  • Options
    Hero AmandaHero Amanda Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2015
    Hi Nikhil,

On your site, your Profile Display Name has not been updated to "Nikhil Shahi Photography" at this point. To change that, click on your profile image in the top right, then Edit Profile. Update your display name there. It will still be amended to show the page of the site you are on, but it will also include your Display Name.
    All The Best,
    Amanda
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2015
    Hi Nikhil,

On your site, your Profile Display Name has not been updated to "Nikhil Shahi Photography" at this point. To change that, click on your profile image in the top right, then Edit Profile. Update your display name there. It will still be amended to show the page of the site you are on, but it will also include your Display Name.

That worked Amanda - Thanks so much. Now at-least it's consistent across the site. Appreciate all your help.

Cheers,
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2015
    AH HAH. A picture is worth a 1000 words. I had no clue what you meant. :D

So - on my site, inside a gallery the TAB says the gallery name, then there's a hypen and the name of my site (sans .com). My site has only a one-word title so I think this is correct for me. I don't see a "display name" field in Settings. I see Site URL, and only my one-word title is properly there.

If that's where your multi-word title is (Site URL), and you have multiple words, maybe the system only picks up the first word?
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2015
    AH HAH. A picture is worth a 1000 words. I had no clue what you meant. :D

So - on my site, inside a gallery the TAB says the gallery name, then there's a hypen and the name of my site (sans .com). My site has only a one-word title so I think this is correct for me. I don't see a "display name" field in Settings. I see Site URL, and only my one-word title is properly there.

If that's where your multi-word title is (Site URL), and you have multiple words, maybe the system only picks up the first word?

Yeah it's picking up all the words, but truncating the last two due to lack of space on the title bar. However, if I hover my mouse over the title bar, I can see the full title. Will do for now. :D

Cheers,