Options

Anyone else shoot real estate?

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited October 15, 2015 in People
Since this seems to be the most active photography forum on this whole site and since this is where I "know" most people, I thought folks here might be interested in this. R/E is a pretty easy gig that can be a steady stream of income. I shot a house yesterday for an architect friend that I've been dying to get into for a while, he's been working on it for months and putting pics on facebook. Have a look if you want:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=2011513#post2011513

Thanks!
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• Options
    OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2015
    Hi Jack, I have shot R.E. for the last 3 1/2years and enjoyed it a lot. It was a part time gig for me and it was rewarding too. I could not compete with the high end photographers but filled a comfortable nitch here in Southern California. Health issues forced me to quit running around so much. I'll post a link to a group that can teach you everything you need to know and some things what not to do. I liked your shots of that cabin and would love to spend the summers there! http://photographyforrealestate.net/
    Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2015
    I've done a few, and I really feel like it has to be HDRed. Lots of work, but is fun.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2015
    Very nice work.
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2015
    OrvSal wrote: »
    Hi Jack, I have shot R.E. for the last 3 1/2years and enjoyed it a lot. It was a part time gig for me and it was rewarding too. I could not compete with the high end photographers but filled a comfortable nitch here in Southern California. Health issues forced me to quit running around so much. I'll post a link to a group that can teach you everything you need to know and some things what not to do. I liked your shots of that cabin and would love to spend the summers there! http://photographyforrealestate.net/

Thanks OrvSal. I have been shooting r/e occasionally for the better part of 8 years. I've seen that site and have never felt compelled to pay the membership fee. I'm always skeptical of such services, including the PSIA - professional ski instructors of America, but I digress! I'm pretty happy with the amount of business I get through friends and word of mouth, and actually I've gotten a few jobs because my site is one of the top google hits around here.
    Foques wrote: »
    I've done a few, and I really feel like it has to be HDRed. Lots of work, but is fun.

Agreed. Back when I first started I would simply expose for the interior and blow out the windows. This was not at all optimal but still better than the, um, "stuff" that generally most realtors take themselves. Then I moved to using two off-camera flashes in order to try to balance the light inside with the view out the windows. This worked well sometimes, other times not. When I got a 5D3, I discovered in-camera HDR and never used flash again. Now I'll take 3 bracketed raw shots and merge them to HDR in Lighroom because it usually does a better job. The HDR it creates is a dng raw so you can continue to work on it in a raw state. Although the in-cam was pretty good most of the time.
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Very nice work.

Thanks!
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2015
    Ok, so in keeping with the "People" forum, here is the architect. This and the house shots linked above will be in the next issue of Maine Home and Design magazine. I framed this a little loose to show some architectural elements around him.

5D3_9770-X3.jpg
    -Jack

• Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2015
    Very clever, Jim. Nicely done. Congrats on your pictures being in the publication!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited October 15, 2015
    Thanks!
    -Jack