Options

Enable Browser 'Back' Button in Contact & Lightbox Overlays

e**e** Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited October 17, 2015 in SmugMug Customization
I have (finally) migrated to the new SM and though I found it painful wading through the CSS customizations, I am quite happy with my new site.

Watching people navigate through the site, however, I have noticed visitors sometimes getting briefly stuck in either the Contact form or the Lightbox. Both of these areas work as overlays and don't actually load a new page in the browser. Some visitors have hit the 'back' button on their browsers and left my website entirely by mistake. Others just spend some time looking for a way off that page. The buttons to close these overlays aren't always apparent - the Lightbox 'X' can be toggled off on mobile and will fade out on a desktop browser while the Contact Form 'Cancel' button is cut off and must be scrolled to find on small mobile screens.

I have searched for an answer to this and have only found Javascript customizations which I understand we can't implement on the new SM and I'm not sure I would understand how to implement in any case.

What I am looking for is a way, through available HTML and CSS customizations to:
- Enable the browser 'back' / 'previous page' button to close the Lightbox.
- Enable the browser 'back' / 'previous page' button to close the Contact Form.
- Enable clicking anywhere off the Contact Form (in the transparent space surrounding the form) to close the Contact Form.

Has anyone else solved this problem?
-- Eric

ERIC SCOTT PHOTOGRAPHY
commercial and architectural imagery
www.ericscottphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2015
    I sure haven't solved it, but am subscribing to find out, because I'm concerned about exactly the same issues. I've been seeing the "X" ( like in the lightbox) being used on a lot of sites to close something, but many people never feel sure what's going to close exactly. So I really dislike the "X" & wish it'd actually say something. I rarely even trust it myself. I think to a lot of us old fogies, "X" means cancel... but what does "cancel" even mean? It's the same problem with so many icons... they are not universal, even though silicon valley seems to assume they are. And often with the various devices people use, they simply can't see the icon enough to discern what it is. Hover info is great, but not available on a touch screen. Oh, and yes, that Contact form page is a little off-putting. I was glad to see some of these pages implemented, but that one & the " /search page" , etc unfortunately don't seem to have a way of adding any other content to them, which makes the Nav bar cluttery when you can't combine more of them. I would've put "Contact" & "Info" together, but doesn't appear possible.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2015
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2015
    Allen wrote: »

Allen - thanks for the example. That would certainly get their attention but it doesn't solve all of the problems I am hoping to resolve (such as the people who instinctively hit the 'back' button first) and it might not fit with the clean, minimal look I am after on my site. You are right though, it certainly does grab the eye!
    -- Eric

ERIC SCOTT PHOTOGRAPHY
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2015
    I sure haven't solved it, but am subscribing to find out, because I'm concerned about exactly the same issues. I've been seeing the "X" ( like in the lightbox) being used on a lot of sites to close something, but many people never feel sure what's going to close exactly. So I really dislike the "X" & wish it'd actually say something. I rarely even trust it myself. I think to a lot of us old fogies, "X" means cancel... but what does "cancel" even mean? It's the same problem with so many icons... they are not universal, even though silicon valley seems to assume they are. And often with the various devices people use, they simply can't see the icon enough to discern what it is. Hover info is great, but not available on a touch screen. Oh, and yes, that Contact form page is a little off-putting. I was glad to see some of these pages implemented, but that one & the " /search page" , etc unfortunately don't seem to have a way of adding any other content to them, which makes the Nav bar cluttery when you can't combine more of them. I would've put "Contact" & "Info" together, but doesn't appear possible.

Anna Lisa - I agree with your thoughts on the info and contact form. If you check out my site, I was able to modify the contact form to provide just a tiny bit of info (other contact methods), but it might make sense to put these together on a single page instead. One option is to make a form on wufoo.com and embed it on a page on your smugmug site along with any other info you wish.
    -- Eric

ERIC SCOTT PHOTOGRAPHY