Morning Cowboy

ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
edited October 22, 2015 in People
I shot this from a nearby road.

DSC_2774A-8-XL.jpg

DSC_2774B-8-XL.jpg
"Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

Comments

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2015
    Nice capture. Wonder if a rule of thirds crop would up the impact. Wife wants to get out of town this weekend. Choices are Lancaster or Williamsburg. I'll let you know if we head your way.
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2015
    Charles, thanks much for your comments. I actually placed the cowboys hat on the "cross hairs" formed by the rule of thirds in the upper right corner. Hope it came out that way on your end.
    As far as this weekend, Colonial Williamsburg would be very pretty although the leaves there are not as bright as I would like. The crowds will be down as well. I'm leaving town tomorrow for the weekend visiting family but don't let that dissuade you. Regards!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2015
    I like the color, but the first thing that came to mind was the crop has the horse too centered. Try chopping off before the vertical post on the left.
    edited October 21, 2015
    Mitchell wrote: »
    I like the color, but the first thing that came to mind was the crop has the horse too centered. Try chopping off before the vertical post on the left.

Mitch, I like this better. I was focused on the cowboy and stuck the horse in the center in the original. :bash
    I think this is what Charles was hinting at as well.

DSC_2774A-8-2-XL.jpg

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2015
    edited October 21, 2015
    Mitchell wrote: »
    Excellent!!!

Many thanks! bowdown.gif

edited October 22, 2015
    Last one from this series. Different shot, tighter crop and change in tone/mood. Thanks again to Charles and Mitch.

DSC_2783-8-X2.jpg

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2015
    A rule of thumb when cropping leave room in front not behind. Of course it can be broken with great results. I'm jealous I f these great captures.
    edited October 22, 2015
    Hackbone wrote: »
    A rule of thumb when cropping leave room in front not behind. Of course it can be broken with great results. I'm jealous I f these great captures.

Thanks Charles, very much appreciated. bowdown.gif Have to say I'm familiar with the "in front not behind" rule but the rules can be broken occasionally and I'm all for that if the results work.

• puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2015
    Prefer the interaction between the subjects in first shot.

I wonder if there's more potential to crop the version in #5, because I don't think (the extent of) either the foreground or background do the pic any favours.

Cropping the grass to something similar to that in pic 2 ...ie around the grass col.change boundary (in 1) ...and also lopping a chunk off the top as - imo - the shadows create a 'spotty' sort of effect ... which, for my tastes don't look good, even when very blurred /diffused - I try to avoid them like the plague :)

You'll end up with a more 'panorama' shape ...but so what :)

fwiw, just my ... pp
    edited October 22, 2015
    Prefer the interaction between the subjects in first shot.

I wonder if there's more potential to crop the version in #5, because I don't think (the extent of) either the foreground or background do the pic any favours.

Cropping the grass to something similar to that in pic 2 ...ie around the grass col.change boundary (in 1) ...and also lopping a chunk off the top as - imo - the shadows create a 'spotty' sort of effect ... which, for my tastes don't look good, even when very blurred /diffused - I try to avoid them like the plague :)

You'll end up with a more 'panorama' shape ...but so what :)

fwiw, just my ... pp

Paul, this means a great deal to me that you took the time to make some very thoughtful recommendations. All are greatly appreciated. I looked these over and cropped/processed the shot again. See below. I think this is what you were suggesting as a better tighter crop. If I'm wrong, don't hesitate to add more of your thoughts. I appreciate so much that everyone took the time to comment on this effort. Paul, please don't hesitate to provide feedback on the shot posted below.

As an aside, I tracked down "the cowboy" and gave him an 11X14" matted framed copy of the last shot I posted. He was very touched and seemed to really appreciate the gesture. Photography is wonderful in the way it touches people.

DSC_2774A2-8-XL.jpg