Film Scanning Odd / old negs - auto crop issue

jefff100jefff100 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited October 22, 2015 in Digital Darkroom
Hello

I'm trying to scan some very old negatives that my wife's brother had taken photos probably in the 1960's.

I have at my disposal an Canon "CANOSCAN 8600F"
It does well for prints and it has holders for film strips of 120 format and 35 mm; I have scanned both 35 mm and 120 successfully but now I have a challenge.

I have a small batch of negatives (probably about 25 to 30 negative strips) to try and scan if possilbe.
The film I need to scan is the same height as 35 mm however the frames are shorter. the frame sizes are 28mm x 28mm and the film only has sprocket holes along the bottom, about one sprocket hole per frame.
I have no idea what format film this is.

The Canon scanner is not letting me select individual frames, it wants to dice up the frames according to the 35 mm index spacers on the negative carrier.

The dialog box under all the settings I have found do not allow me to change this spacing that I can find.
I have tried just placing the negative on the platen but that was hopeless.

This is not something I am willing to put much money into, the scanner I have already will have to do.
My brother in law passed away this past summer and I was handed a box with old photos and negs. Have scanned the approximately 300 prints but these negs are a challenge.

thanks much for your comments & suggestions, my wife's family would love to see the pix if it can reasonably done.

best regards,

Jeff

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Registered Users Posts: 447 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2015
    HI Jeff,

Are you using Mac or Windows?
    What scanning software do you use?

I use an 8800F (flatbed with 35mm and 120mm film options) with the standard Canon Navigator software on a Mac. I have the option within that software to scan an entire film and manually make selections for the frames I want to scan. I know that is also possible with the Apple Image Capture software.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited October 22, 2015
    jefff100 wrote: »
    Hello

I'm trying to scan some very old negatives that my wife's brother had taken photos probably in the 1960's.

I have at my disposal an Canon "CANOSCAN 8600F"
    It does well for prints and it has holders for film strips of 120 format and 35 mm; I have scanned both 35 mm and 120 successfully but now I have a challenge.

I have a small batch of negatives (probably about 25 to 30 negative strips) to try and scan if possilbe.
    The film I need to scan is the same height as 35 mm however the frames are shorter. the frame sizes are 28mm x 28mm and the film only has sprocket holes along the bottom, about one sprocket hole per frame.
    I have no idea what format film this is.

The Canon scanner is not letting me select individual frames, it wants to dice up the frames according to the 35 mm index spacers on the negative carrier.

The dialog box under all the settings I have found do not allow me to change this spacing that I can find.
    I have tried just placing the negative on the platen but that was hopeless.

This is not something I am willing to put much money into, the scanner I have already will have to do.
    My brother in law passed away this past summer and I was handed a box with old photos and negs. Have scanned the approximately 300 prints but these negs are a challenge.

thanks much for your comments & suggestions, my wife's family would love to see the pix if it can reasonably done.

best regards,

Jeff

That sounds like 126 format film (single perforation, 26mm×26mm frames).

VueScan third party software appears to have a "Crop tab" with "... full automatic cropping, full manual cropping and a range of options between."

The authors, Ed Hamrick and his son David Hamrick, also have a free auto-crop tool online. (I haven't used this personally, but I highly trust these authors.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums