Options

Hot Rod Show... Vrooooom !!

EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
edited October 25, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
San Diego's Embarcadero Marina Park is a popular venue to present custom, vintage, and collectible car shows.
On this day, a wonderful, drool-able group of "T-Buckets" rolled-in... Chevy too.
Chrome, rubber, metal-flake, horsepower, and beer kegs... can I get an amen? :barb

i-5gtbNNT-X2.jpg

i-sxKRN9J-X2.jpg

i-Km4Tmjs-X2.jpg

i-gcHDHRB-X2.jpg

i-RQC9Bkp-X2.jpg

i-6DX2pFr-X2.jpg

i-CSwDv3W-X2.jpg

i-Cxjrc6n-X2.jpg

i-f9N3pVT-X2.jpg

i-r2Lqz6x-X2.jpg
Eric ~ Smugmug

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2015
    Wow! Bravo! Fantastic set! Lots of good shots! Unique captures!
    Look great even on my crap Dell monitor at work so can't wait to look at them at home!
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Wow! Bravo! Fantastic set! Lots of good shots! Unique captures!
    Look great even on my crap Dell monitor at work so can't wait to look at them at home!
    Hi Taz, thanks for commenting!
    Glad you can enjoy these, it was very cool to see in-person.
    I've heard you mention your monitor before... I think you deserve a new one! thumb.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 23, 2015
    Amazing. It's like looking at a hot-rod magazine back when I was in high school, only with better photography. Thoughtful compositions and you nailed the processing perfectly. Well done, Eric. Well done. bowdown.gif
  • Options
    willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2015
    Good series done in difficult light.
    It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,035 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2015
    Cool shots of cool hot rods (if not a bit redundant!). #4 and #7 are my favorites - great job!
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2015
    kdog wrote: »
    Amazing. It's like looking at a hot-rod magazine back when I was in high school, only with better photography. Thoughtful compositions and you nailed the processing perfectly. Well done, Eric. Well done. bowdown.gif

I totally agree with Joel! Nicely done, Eric.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2015
    If there's anyone who knows of the vagaries and difficulties in shooting car shows, it's me. That makes me appreciate even more this superb set of pictures. On a technical front, they're extremely well executed. Your composition....first rate. You presented a nicely balanced offering of full-car shots and a very interesting array of close-ups and quasi abstracts.

Great work, Eric. I think you have a flair for this type of stuff. You ought to do more of it.

A word of advice....don't sell out too cheaply. I'll give you 3 amens and six hallelujahs.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2015
    Bright and brilliant! Love the detail. Beautiful cars, beautifully captured! --Carter
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2015
    kdog wrote: »
    Thanks much Joel, for your generous and detailed comments... I'm always stoked when I catch your expert eye!

When I was a kid (I think we're close to the same age), model building was the thing to do, and I remember building many model Hot Rods...
    I especially remember the "Orange Crate" because, right after I finished it, I dropped it as I was putting it on my bookshelf - scarred me for life :cry, lol.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2015
    willard3 wrote: »
    Good series done in difficult light.
    Thank-you Willard!
    Yes, it was the dreaded mid-day sunlight... although, I had a little-bit of diffusion with the high clouds.
    I will credit LR 5 for having great exposure and curve tools to help control highlights and boost shadows.
    Also, I find the graduated filter tool very useful when images unavoidably contain bright sky.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2015
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Cool shots of cool hot rods (if not a bit redundant!). #4 and #7 are my favorites - great job!
    Thanks Jo - so glad you like 'em!
    I know you're a car owner and show participant, so, I appreciate your appreciation... (sorry, couldn't resist :giggle).
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2015
    I totally agree with Joel! Nicely done, Eric.
    Thanks for commenting Wayne!
    And also, kind thanks for checking-up on me... :hurt thumb.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2015
    Earache wrote: »
    Thanks for commenting Wayne!
    And also, kind thanks for checking-up on me... :hurt thumb.gif

Eric, so glad to see you back and posting again! wings.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited October 25, 2015
    If there's anyone who knows of the vagaries and difficulties in shooting car shows, it's me. That makes me appreciate even more this superb set of pictures. On a technical front, they're extremely well executed. Your composition....first rate. You presented a nicely balanced offering of full-car shots and a very interesting array of close-ups and quasi abstracts.

Great work, Eric. I think you have a flair for this type of stuff. You ought to do more of it.

A word of advice....don't sell out too cheaply. I'll give you 3 amens and six hallelujahs.

Tom
    Well, Tom, considering your encyclopedic knowledge, photographic skill, and experience with all things Automotive, Cars, and Shows, I feel pretty good knowing you think I done a little good! mwink.gif
    Thanks so much for your generous comments and positive encouragement! I always think about your work when I get the opportunity to shoot motor vehicles.

It was happy serendipity to come-across this show that day. I was at the Embarcadero with my Photography Group when we were very pleased to find this event in-progress.
    Many of the cars had out-of-state plates, so, I thought the show represented some very dedicated "Bucket" enthusiasts - coming all the way to San Diego for an outdoor show.
    As you mentioned, getting isolated, pleasing compositions with as few humans in-frame as possible, is often challenging. I got pretty lucky here - as you can see, there were very few spectators around the rods.
    The primary reason was the weather that day - extremely atypical for coastal San Diego and much more like your environs... 95 deg. fahrenheit and 90% humidity - we just don't do hot, icky-sticky very well... spoiled I guess!
    Take care sir, hope you are well!
    Eric
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2015
    CCoop wrote: »
    Bright and brilliant! Love the detail. Beautiful cars, beautifully captured! --Carter
    Thanks Carter, glad you enjoyed seeing them... it was a real treat to get up-close to these beauts!
    Eric ~ Smugmug