Options

Dead Wood

ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
edited October 28, 2015 in Landscapes
DSC_3405a-X2.jpg
"Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,915 moderator
    edited October 24, 2015
    Subject nicely framed and the scene is well composed. Excellent use of highlighted water to further contain the subject. 16:9 aspect ratio perfect to enhance the vista setting. I love the delineation line of the distant shoreline.

Wonderful image to print large.

I do suggest printing to determine if the subject has sufficient tonal drama. If necessary, select the deadwood subject tones alone and increase global contrast or pull down the black level just a bit to help create a bit more "pop", if needed. (Printing generally increases global contrast so this may not be needed at all.)

Overall a system of beauty which many folks would have missed! thumb.gifthumbclap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2015
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2015
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Subject nicely framed and the scene is well composed. Excellent use of highlighted water to further contain the subject. 16:9 aspect ratio perfect to enhance the vista setting. I love the delineation line of the distant shoreline.

Wonderful image to print large.

I do suggest printing to determine if the subject has sufficient tonal drama. If necessary, select the deadwood subject tones alone and increase global contrast or pull down the black level just a bit to help create a bit more "pop", if needed. (Printing generally increases global contrast so this may not be needed at all.)

Overall a system of beauty which many folks would have missed! thumb.gifthumbclap.gif

Ziggy, thank you for a very thorough thoughtful review. This is the kind of assessment I appreciate and your kind assessment is highly valued! bowdown.gif Regards!
    boco wrote: »
    Prachtige opname.
    grt,boco.

Boco, I always look forward to your opinions! Thanks most sincerely!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2015
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2015
    Lovely! Awesome!
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2015
    Dan, Taz, can't thank you enough for the very kind reviews! This is what keeps me going!!! wings.gif

• Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2015
    I've come back to this one several times. There is much about it I love. What I don't love is the bright, indistinct sky and the reflection of it in the water. I don't think it's anything that would be curable in processing. I think it would require different light, and I don't know the location well enough to suggest what conditions and light would work better.

I offer these comments in the belief that you really do want honest feedback. You're doing great stuff these days.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 25, 2015
    Yummy shot, Wayne. Great foreground! I do see detail throughout the sky, although my pixel sampler tool is showing a mostly saturated red channel which tells me that there may be more details that can be extracted. What happens if you bring down the exposure of the raw file, does it show more sky color? If so, I'd personally process the sky separately to bring out more details. You might find that a Lightroom adjustment brush with exposure and/or highlights set negative might be all you need. Maybe some contrast and clarity too. Just a thought. It's really a super image just the way it is. thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2015
    Cornflake wrote: »
    I've come back to this one several times. There is much about it I love. What I don't love is the bright, indistinct sky and the reflection of it in the water. I don't think it's anything that would be curable in processing. I think it would require different light, and I don't know the location well enough to suggest what conditions and light would work better.

I offer these comments in the belief that you really do want honest feedback. You're doing great stuff these days.

Don, these thoughtful assessments and constructive critiques you provide most assuredly are most appreciated. I would feel somewhat slighted if I didn't think you were giving me your best! Yes!...I do want your most honest feedback. It's the only thing that keeps me on the path to better photography. I'm depending on it! I'm going to work a little more on the shot. Thanks!
    kdog wrote: »
    Yummy shot, Wayne. Great foreground! I do see detail throughout the sky, although my pixel sampler tool is showing a mostly saturated red channel which tells me that there may be more details that can be extracted. What happens if you bring down the exposure of the raw file, does it show more sky color? If so, I'd personally process the sky separately to bring out more details. You might find that a Lightroom adjustment brush with exposure and/or highlights set negative might be all you need. Maybe some contrast and clarity too. Just a thought. It's really a super image just the way it is. thumb.gifthumb.gif

Joel, my comments to Don are much the same as I would send you! I can't say how much I appreciate the feedback you provide on these posted pics. I really appreciate the time and effort you take on analyzing the pictures. As I told Don, I'm going to take the raw file, incorporate some of the advice I'm receiving here and rework the shot. Many many thanks!

• Options
    edited October 27, 2015
    DSC_3405-8-X2.jpg

So I read the advice previously posted and reworked the photo. Seems that most of the attention was on the sky and accordingly I cropped out some of the washed out upper sky and as Joel suggested in LR I used the Brush tool to tone down what was left. Also, I slightly turned down the saturation a bit as the leaves looked a little too saturated. Not sure the mountains look as good in the distance but I'll go with this one as a Plan B.

Also, same place but different angle.

DSC_3416-8-X2.jpg

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2015
    Both kicking butt!
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2015
    Terrific work on the re-do. I love the original but you've taken it to another level with this last one. Adjusting the sky, as Joel suggested, made a very good picture into a great picture.

The boys at the top better keep an eye on you....you're gaining ground at a fast clip.thumb.gif

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Both kicking butt!

Taz, I know I say this repeatedly, but to get your approval on a shot...wings.gif! Thanks.
    Terrific work on the re-do. I love the original but you've taken it to another level with this last one. Adjusting the sky, as Joel suggested, made a very good picture into a great picture.

The boys at the top better keep an eye on you....you're gaining ground at a fast clip.thumb.gif

Take care,

Tom

Tom, you are more than kind here. For a photog with your talents to say something like this...well, my hat size just went up a bit! Thank you my friend! bowdown.gifbow

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2015
    Love the re-do and in post 11 the first one grabs my eye.
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2015
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Love the re-do and in post 11 the first one grabs my eye.

Charles, thank you for taking a look!