Options

Rowing in Fog

CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
edited October 25, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
Inspired by everyone's great pics of Fall color, I went to the Chattahoochee River this morning. The fog has desaturated the colors. Thanks for looking, suggestions welcome! --Carter

#1 Rowers f/8, 1/25
IMG_4427-rowing-X2.jpg

#2 Geese f/8, 1/50
IMG_4419-geese-2-X2.jpg

#3 Below the dam. f/4, 1/250
IMG_4478-chattahoochee-river-X2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2015
    The motion blur/camera shake kill 1 and 2 for me.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2015
    I can't see blur in the rowers but maybe it's there and my bad eyes aren't picking it up. I like the first one quite a bit. I found myself wondering if it might be better with the sky cropped out, but I like it either way.
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2015
    Carter, #1 to me is nice. I see the slight background blur but it doesn't take away from the shot for me. I find it nicely composed also.
    Having just had some experience trying to capture flying geese, I have to tell you that #2 is better than anything I was able to produce. So...hats off to you for this one! Regards!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited October 25, 2015
    Cornflake wrote: »
    I can't see blur in the rowers but maybe it's there and my bad eyes aren't picking it up. I like the first one quite a bit. I found myself wondering if it might be better with the sky cropped out, but I like it either way.

Thanks, Don. There were a couple of other shots where the rowers were as blurry as the trees. Ha! Looking back I obviously would change my settings. But I was happy with the composition. Thanks for commenting. --Carter
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2015
    The motion blur/camera shake kill 1 and 2 for me.

Exactly my thought when I looked at the exposure settings *after* the fact! Yikes! But I liked the composition enough to post, and the experience of being there was pretty special to me. Thank you for looking and commenting. --Carter
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2015
    Carter, #1 to me is nice. I see the slight background blur but it doesn't take away from the shot for me. I find it nicely composed also.
    Having just had some experience trying to capture flying geese, I have to tell you that #2 is better than anything I was able to produce. So...hats off to you for this one! Regards!

The geese in #2 flew the moment I arrived at that spot. I startled them or something else spooked them, so I just raised my camera and started firing. In that moment I adjusted the exposure with the main dial, which of course adjusts shutter speed, and that's how I ended up so slow, with the aperture fixed at f/8. Thank you for looking and commenting!