Options

It has taken me 6 months to find galleries

tartan snowtartan snow Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited October 26, 2015 in SmugMug Support
Hi there, my first post. I joined SmugMug around 6 months ago but it has taken me all that time to discover (by chance) other people's photos on SmugMug. I knew thousands of people had photos on Smugmug but I could never find them. I couldn't find a link to them anywhere, is there one? The SmugMug homepage doesn't point to any galleries or most popular photos or anything like that as far as I can see, there's only a link to this forum and a Blog. I happened to find the most popular by clicking on a link in a forum post. Why is it so difficult to find, why is there no link on the SmugMug homepage.. or have I missed something?

Comments

• Options
    owilliamsowilliams Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2015
    Sure thing - you can certainly view other SmugMug users publicly listed photos. Your starting point would be the browse page here:

http://www.smugmug.com/browse/

You can use the search feature there (or on the SmugMug homepage) to look for the genres of photography that you are interested in. You can also view the most popular photos on SmugMug form there.

Let us know if you need anything else!

Best,
    -Oliver
    SM Support
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,832 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2015
    ...and how is one supposed to know about this page? There's no obvious link to it from the SM Home Page. The little Search box up on the right doesn't scream "search for member's photos according to keyword" - to me it looks more like "search for topics about using SM". And the page itself it the ugliest thing I've seen in a while - klunky old SmugMug at its worst! Not exactly an invitation for new users who welcome a modern user interface.

Cheers,

Sara
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2015
    Thanks, I did find it after 6 months but my question really was why is it so difficult to find? If that exact link that you posted right there had been on the SmugMug homepage I would have found what I was after on day one. The search facility is handy now that I know what to look for but when I joined I had no idea there was a 'most popular' section or even what to search for at all.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2015
    ...and how is one supposed to know about this page? There's no obvious link to it from the SM Home Page. The little Search box up on the right doesn't scream "search for member's photos according to keyword" - to me it looks more like "search for topics about using SM". And the page itself it the ugliest thing I've seen in a while - klunky old SmugMug at its worst! Not exactly an invitation for new users who welcome a modern user interface.

Cheers,

Sara

Hi Sara, yes that's basically what I meant. I wasn't able to find anyone else's photos on SmugMug for 6 months so by that reasoning, wondered how anyone could find mine.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited October 26, 2015
    Hi Sara, yes that's basically what I meant. I wasn't able to find anyone else's photos on SmugMug for 6 months so by that reasoning, wondered how anyone could find mine.
    Don't count on someone finding your site only by using SmugMug search. Add a link to your site in your signature here, and on other forums in which you participate. To add a visible link to all of your posts, click the clipboard icon on the navbar above, then Edit Signature. Begin your link with http:// to make it clickable.

Also, take a look at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1229846-how-do-i-make-my-site-seo-friendly-.
    Make sure to add inbound links to your site.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2015
    Thanks Denise. I have added a link. I'm not too fussy about people finding mine but I do like looking at other folk's photos. It's mad that they are not more easily accessible from the SM site.