Options

Site Broken--Didn't Change

emiliewasmyeveemiliewasmyeve Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
edited October 28, 2015 in SmugMug Customization
Hey, all.

One of many who didn't heed advice to update site before the automatic new customization options took over.

Been using SmugMug for years as a place to house client galleries for my photog business. Just want a landing page with my logo, a custom background, and links to my website, my etsy shop, and client galleries.

This is what I had before the change. Can't for the life of me figure out how to get it back and, with a newborn baby, I don't really have the time.

Anyway to revert my site back?

My "proofs" folder is a subfolder of a "professional" folder. Can't figure out how to make the proofs folder public without making all of the professional folder public.

Halp?

Comments

• Options
    edited October 25, 2015
    Would also be interested in seeing other sites with the same use--but a better layout/design.
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2015
    Also, here's my site. I'm wanting my SmugMug page to be cohesive.

http://danielleaquilinephotography.com/
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited October 25, 2015
    Anyway to revert my site back?

My "proofs" folder is a subfolder of a "professional" folder. Can't figure out how to make the proofs folder public without making all of the professional folder public.
    You'll need to work with new smugmug.

If you want your proofs folder to be public the folder it is contained within must also be public. If you don't want your Professional folder to be public, have you considered moving the Proofs folder outside of the Professional folder?

From the help page http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1229910-how-do-i-set-gallery-page-and-folder-privacy-settings-?b_id=1644:
    Q: I want a Folder to be Unlisted but a Gallery in it to be Public. Or my Page to be invite-only but a Gallery to be Public. Possible? A: Unfortunately not possible. Galleries can't have less private settings than the folders or pages they live within. You'll need to change the Folder's or Page’s privacy setting to match, or you can create a new Public Folder and move your gallery into it.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2015
    Okay, I've moved the Proofs folder outside of the Professional folder.

Another question: I see that now, instead of a black locked image for password-protected galleries, there are cover images. This is fine for 90% of my galleries, but I also have some private galleries for which there CANNOT be a cover image. Some of these date back 7+ years. How can I remove the cover images for these galleries? Or what would be the best option to make sure that these specific galleries do not show in my "Proofs" folder. Make them unlisted?
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2015
    Nevermind! Just logged out and realized that none of the cover images show. Will play around a bit and be back tomorrow with more questions. :)

Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2015
    A feature image only shows for passworded gallery if you have manually set it in gallery settings. Otherwise visitors
    will not see one.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    owilliamsowilliams Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2015
    Hi Emilie,

With the New SmugMug, password protected galleries will show the back "Lock" icon UNLESS you set a feature image for that gallery. As long as you do not have a feature image set, you should be good for those galleries.

We're always here for you if you need any help with your new site. Just reply here or email us to help@smugmug.com and we'll get things moving in the right direction for you.

-Oliver
    SM Support
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2015
    Considering your original subject is "site broken", my first visit just now: your homepage background is breathtakingly beautiful. :)
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2015
    Emilie, there's a tiny problem with your navbar being below the big image, in that if I click/hover over one of the links, the dropdown list that pops up is not in my view because it drops below the bottom of the browser bottom bar. I have to scroll the main screen down and *then* click the navbar to see the dropdown links.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2015
    Thanks, all. Not sure what site you're looking at--my SmugMug Site? To me, it looks like a hot mess.

I'm experimenting with various themes. Is there one that has a simple homepage, kind of like Jasper, but that will play a slideshow of images? And could I put a custom background design and custom logo on top?

Thanks for the help!

(Should I start a new thread with each question?)
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2015
    Unless your question relates to another thread I'd keep all your questions in this thread. It will provide
    you and helpers with a history of changes.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2015
    Thanks, all. Not sure what site you're looking at--my SmugMug Site? To me, it looks like a hot mess.

I'm experimenting with various themes. Is there one that has a simple homepage, kind of like Jasper, but that will play a slideshow of images? And could I put a custom background design and custom logo on top?

Thanks for the help!

I think you're okay with one thread as you work your way through sub-topics. Once you shift to "something big and new", that can be a place to start new.

Yes, I'm looking at your site. :D Is that beautiful color, and the wallpaper background, the Jasper theme? Or did you add them? I assumed you added them.

The only thing that seems "hot mess" to me as the average first time visitor, is that your navbar has problems. For example the Categories link, the sublinks do not go anywhere (I think). Once you get the hang of assigning URLs, you'll be able to populate the navbar easily enough.

I don't know about different themes - it got too complicated to check out several (I switched about 2 years ago so it's a bit hard to recall):
    - You can change just about anything - backgrounds, colors, fonts, layout, adding slideshow blocks, etc., so I lost perspective on what the original "theme" did or does.
    - You don't have to choose a theme that has a default slideshow on the home page.
    - Once you tweak something that you like on a test theme that you kind of like, for example adding a navbar, if you want to try this navbar on another theme, you'll have to re-create it from scratch.
    - But, oh, wait, SM now allows you to apply a different theme to any page, gallery, folder... so I suppose you could test separate folders for different themes. I don't think you can test multiple homepages???? headscratch.gif
    - I believe there is not a list of unique characteristics that each theme has, available to us. Meaning - some things may be un-modifiable, but I don't know what they are. This mostly means you are free to settle on one theme and tweak away. In my site I have not stumbled across any thing that is so stuck in stone as to be un-modifiable.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2015
    BTW, for looking at what others have done, this thread is excellent: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=237680
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2015
    Okay, thank you!

I've made some changes: http://danielleaquilinephoto.smugmug.com/.

I've added a slideshow, and I've fixed the navbar, I think.

I have a few more questions:

1. How do I remove the "Proofs" text and arrow from the top of the folder page when clients click "client galleries"?

2. How can I make the navbar more cohesive with the rest of the current design? Change font, color, etc.?

3. How can I chance the background of all galleries to a solid grey--the same grey in my logo? When you click on "client galleries," for instance, it's the default SmugMug pattern.

Thanks so much for all of the help!
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2015
    And--not really related to design--where'd the "download all" button go for galleries?
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2015
    Oh, I'm being really annoying, now.

I just noticed that, when logged in, the homepage slideshow looks large. However, when I log out and look at my site, the slideshow is very small. Any ideas?
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2015
    I'm going to have to disappear shortly - but - I have to start with a confusion:
    http://danielleaquilinephotography.com/ is the site I've been visiting, that I loved the wallpaper, and where I made comments regarding the navbar.

The link you *just* gave is:
    http://danielleaquilinephoto.smugmug.com/
    completely different background wallpaper, font, and type of slideshow (size etc).

Do you have 2 sites....

EDIT to add:
    And the HOME link on the 2nd site, takes me to the first site.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2015
    The confusion was my fault, I'm sorry. The "site" I referred to at first--danielleaquilinephotography.com--is my main website, operated by WordPress.

I had/have a SmugMug companion site, which is linked from my main site, that I use ONLY to house client galleries. I want the two to be cohesive. They were before the switch; they aren't now. I'm trying to get the aesthetics of my SmugMug site (danielleaquilinephoto.smugmug.com) to match my primary website (hence the link).

I'm almost there, I think. Just a bit of tweaking to do.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2015
    The confusion was my fault, I'm sorry. The "site" I referred to at first--danielleaquilinephotography.com--is my main website, operated by WordPress.

I had/have a SmugMug companion site, which is linked from my main site, that I use ONLY to house client galleries. I want the two to be cohesive. They were before the switch; they aren't now. I'm trying to get the aesthetics of my SmugMug site (danielleaquilinephoto.smugmug.com) to match my primary website (hence the link).

I'm almost there, I think. Just a bit of tweaking to do.

I see... funny, me getting all gooey about your wordpress site. rolleyes1.gif
    So it's the navbar on the wordpress site whose links in Categories do not go anywhere.
    Fast reactions to SM site, then I disappear:

- You can change your font to match wordpress or a close approximation (wordpress's looks nicer imo). Try this hack:
    http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations/Fonts-Links/Google-Fonts

- Your logo and banner at the top are too large (height-wise), throwing your photo down too far. This image is larger than the one on wordpress.

Looks good! Sure wish you could pull that wallpaper over to smugmug, though... can you? Just curious about that...
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2015
    Thanks! I made the logo smaller, but the slideshow still isn't any larger. See: http://danielleaquilinephoto.smugmug.com/.

How do I make that bigger?

Also, if I know the font/color of my WordPress site, where do I input that information for the SmugMug site? That will have to be code, no?

Finally, still wondering about how to get rid of the little house icon and the "Proofs" text at the top of the "client galleries" page.

Thanks for the continued assistance!
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2015
    Thanks! I made the logo smaller, but the slideshow still isn't any larger. See: http://danielleaquilinephoto.smugmug.com/.

How do I make that bigger?
    I believe you're limited by the vertical space available in the browser window. Your header and menu combined still use a healthy amount of space. If you want more space available for your site content, try a header that uses less vertical space and decrease the spacing above and below your menu entries.

I'd recommend that you view your site on different devices to see how it behaves - with the prevalence of tablets it would be a good idea to make sure your site scales well. I would also check the site in portrait vs. landscape mode. This tool can be used to simulate different devices - http://quirktools.com/screenfly.
    Also, if I know the font/color of my WordPress site, where do I input that information for the SmugMug site? That will have to be code, no?
    You can change the font and colors in your theme. Customize... Content and Design... Select entire site, click Theme.

Note that SmugMug uses Google fonts.
    Finally, still wondering about how to get rid of the little house icon and the "Proofs" text at the top of the "client galleries" page.
    You can remove the breadcrumb from that page.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2015
    Thanks, Denise. What is a crumb and how can I remove it?
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2015
    Thanks, Denise. What is a crumb and how can I remove it?
    The breadcrumb is a content block available on smug, one that helps viewers navigate your site. If you want to remove it for only that folder, edit the folder to set it to "just this folder", then remove the breadcrumb content block.

See help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1210628-customization-what-are-content-blocks-how-are-they-used-.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2015
    Here's what I currently see. The viewer me wants to remove more blank space that's pushing your photo down which I drew as purple stripes.

Options if you want to try them:
    - Go to the black section on the right in Customize, Layout, scroll down and change the header space.
    - And/or, click the triangle icon on the upper left corner of the content blocks, and change their top and bottom margins to zero. You can even use negative numbers in these margins.