Options

domain name forwarding help please

picturebikepicturebike Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
edited November 4, 2015 in SmugMug Support
Hi all, im just setting up my second smug account and have just purchased a new domain name and forwarded the dns settings ( see picture ) but when i enter my domain name into my smug settings it wont except it.

maybe ive done something incorrectly. thanks folks

22399727500_23c00d9232_c.jpgScreen Shot 2015-10-30 at 00.03.44 by Harry Picturebike Lessman, on Flickr

22587799235_275b4b3f59_b.jpgScreen Shot 2015-10-30 at 00.14.02 by Harry Picturebike Lessman, on Flickr

Comments

• Options
    rnrjoshrnrjosh Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2015
    When setting up a new domain name, you will not want to use web forwarding to point the domain name to domains.smugmug.com. Instead, you will use a CNAME DNS record to do that. You'll need to find the section in your domain hosting account where you can add/edit your DNS records. Point the 'www' record to domains.smugmug.com, using a CNAME record. When I check www.doublebarrelphotography.co.uk, the www CNAME record does appear to be properly setup to point to domains.smugmug.com at the moment, so I think you are actually good on that front.

The web forwarding is used to point your 'naked' domain (doublebarrelphotography.co.uk) to the www version of your site (www.doublebarrelphotography.co.uk). This part is to ensure your domain can be accessed, whether or not the end user types in the www part. So, what you'd need to do is to forward your domain to www.doublebarrelphotography.co.uk (with the www part), and select the option "refresh to forwarding URL", like this:
    Lxz8wlalOn3krcgtTaGTK0Hg7mxi6J.png

Once you've done that, you should be able to enter in www.doublebarrelphotography.co.uk in your SmugMug Account Settings to complete the domain setup.
    Josh
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2015
    Thanks for the reply, and yes the www.does now work as i managed to get my host to sort that out, still need them to sort a re-direct for non www.

cheers
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2015
    The non www version should work if you set things up the way Josh pointed out in his screenshot. If you made changes per his suggestions and it still doesn't work, could you attach another screenshot of the exact web forwarding settings you have in place?
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2015
    all sorted now, thanks ;)