Options

Mask of Pain

EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
edited November 7, 2015 in Street and Documentary
These life-masks are from an exhibition of therapeutic artwork created by military veterans suffering from wounds and PTSD. Photography was permitted.

Mask%20of%20Pain-XL.jpg
Eric ~ Smugmug

Comments

• Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2015
    Really like what you did here with the perspective and DOF. Powerful image!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2015
    I agree. Both the topic and your image are very strong. Well done.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2015
    Nice work well composed
    Rags
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2015
    It's certainly a strong, emotion-evoking image....somewhat haunting to me. Excellent work, Eric.clap.gif

See you,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2015
    Juano wrote: »
    I agree. Both the topic and your image are very strong. Well done.
    torags wrote: »
    Nice work well composed
    It's certainly a strong, emotion-evoking image....somewhat haunting to me. Excellent work, Eric.clap.gif

See you,

Tom
    Thanks for commenting guys... all credit to the artist's work here.
    The exhibit included other types of media - drawings, paintings, etc. - many with text describing the veteran's feelings and experiences.
    The effect was - as you noted - powerful, sobering, and often crushingly sad... wars take place in far-away places,
    and I think it's important to never lose sight/acknowledgement of the sacrifice of our military members and their families, both now, and through-out the history of our country.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2015
    Strong subject matter. For me, it needed a person in the photo interacting with the exhibit.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2015
    rainbow wrote: »
    Strong subject matter. For me, it needed a person in the photo interacting with the exhibit.

I agree rainbow - would have been an interesting element given the subject matter of the exhibit.

Here's another one from a different part of the gallery that has the "human" element as you described.
    Again, photography was explicitly permitted - I mention it because I feel it's important to abide by such constraints if present.

Art-XL.jpg
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2015
    You captured some very intense observation here and I like that one portrait on the same wall is without an observer. Seems to intensify the interaction of the others.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited November 7, 2015
    You captured some very intense observation here and I like that one portrait on the same wall is without an observer. Seems to intensify the interaction of the others.
    Thanks for your observations Wayne!
    Yes, I (also) liked the juxtaposition between the two pairs of framed photos.
    Eric ~ Smugmug