Exposure

DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
edited January 8, 2006 in Finishing School
i'm aware that when you shoot RAW you can set the WB and exposure and tint and all that good stuff. but can't you do the same things except the WB with Exposure and Shadow/Highlight/Curves if you were shooting in
Large Jpeg Fine:scratch

i don't know... i guess i'm just looking for excuses to not have to come home early, before i'm done shooting, because i only have a 1 gig memory card that will hold 150 RAW images...

thanks guys:thumb

Daniel
Daniel Bauer
smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    i'm aware that when you shoot RAW you can set the WB and exposure and tint and all that good stuff. but can't you do the same things except the WB with Exposure and Shadow/Highlight/Curves if you were shooting in
    Large Jpeg Fineheadscratch.gif

You have a lot more latitude in RAW...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2006
    The benefits of RAW
    DanielB wrote:
    i'm aware that when you shoot RAW you can set the WB and exposure and tint and all that good stuff. but can't you do the same things except the WB with Exposure and Shadow/Highlight/Curves if you were shooting in Large Jpeg Fine

i don't know... i guess i'm just looking for excuses to not have to come home early, before i'm done shooting, because i only have a 1 gig memory card that will hold 150 RAW images...

Shooting RAW does not produce some magical power that makes for better photographs. Amazingly awesome photos can be produced as in-camera JPEGs. But, RAW has some advantages.

I shoot RAW for two main reasons:

1) When your exposure isn't perfect or the subject is particularly tricky (high dynamic range, very low contrast, highly saturated colors), RAW processing gives you more powerful tools to fix the image because the
    RAW file contains approximately 12-bits of information and a JPEG only contains 8-bits of information.

2) If you get proficient at RAW processing and whichever tools you are suing, the non-destiructive editing in the tools built for easy RAW batch processing can make for a more efficient workflow on large sets of images, particularly for setting white balance, contrast and exposure. For example, it's trivial to take the white balance setting from one RAW image and apply it to 100 other RAW images. That can be done in Adobe Bridge in a few seconds. While one could automate that operation in CS2 to operate on JPEGs, it is not nearly as easy or quick.

So, if you like the benefits of RAW processing, buck up and buy another 1GB CF card ($65-$89) :):.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    You could think of getting a portable external mass storage device to download your images while you're in the field.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 8, 2006
    Unless you carry your set of gray cards around AND know how to use them, AWB on the 10D sucks the paint off walls. If you want it to count, shoot RAW so you can fix it.

That being said, I shot lots of lovely JPG's with my 10D when I had it when lighting was outdoors and consistent. ne_nau.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]