Options

going to the opera

sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,832 Major grins
edited November 21, 2015 in Street and Documentary
Hi, I'm fairly new to the shots forums and I hope you all don't mind me bursting in and posting.

This picture was taken last year at the end of our biking vacation in norther Italy. We had a few hours in Venice before our night train left and spent the time sitting at a cafe on St. Mark's Square soaking up the atmosphere. This elegantly dressed pair strode across the square, looking much more like they fit in the surroundings than all of the shorts and tank-top clad tourists. The foreground blur was not necessarily intentional but somehow it works for me.

Comments and criticisms welcome.

Cheers, Sara

20140831_1020_DMC-G5-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited November 16, 2015
    Hey, everyone is welcome here, Sara wave.gif.

I like the motion and the reflections in the windows at the top. And yes, they look like the only people there who could actually afford a coffee at Quadri or Florian lol3.gif.

Well done thumb.gif.
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2015
    Thanks, Richard!
    ...no it's not cheap there - we nursed our expensive glasses of wine for quite some time! :D
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2015
    Nice shot, Sara. The out-of-focus foreground couple add a sense of drama to an otherwise sedate scene. The surface they're walking on seems as if it could be a challenge to a woman in high heels.

Welcome to the forum. I hope to see more of your work.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2015
    Thanks, Tom. St. Mark's Square is a great place for people-watching!

And yes, I can attest to the fact that european cobblestones are hell wearing heels! I try to avoid it whenever possible.

Greetings from Augsburg, Sara
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2015
    Sara, a really well done capture. The slight blur on the couple is well done and sets off the shot. If the pigeons had been taking flight...classic!

Take care,
    Wayne
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited November 17, 2015
    Thank you Wayne for your kind words.

I certainly appreciate everyone taking the time to comment! What a nice bunch of folks.

Cheers, Sara
  • Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2015
    I like your handling the black and white conversion. Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2015
    Thanks, CCoop - I played around with it for a bit to get the contrast and color balance right. Nice to know it works!

Cheers, Sara
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2015
    I have looked at your post a couple of times. I think that the black and white convertion is outstanding. I also like the couple, like a pair of ghosts visiting from the past.
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2015
    Gracias, Cristóbal!

PS - I know it's OT but I've been meaning to tell you how much I like your Eiffel Tower shot. Especially the off center crop.
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2015
    Gracias, Cristóbal!

PS - I know it's OT but I've been meaning to tell you how much I like your Eiffel Tower shot. Especially the off center crop.

Thanks for your comment on the Eiffel tower shot. I am back home and posted a re-edited version, cleaner.