darluowdarluow Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited February 22, 2006 in People
-delete-

Comments

• 1ibandit1ibandit Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2006
    darluow wrote:
    Hi,

I am a children's photographer here in Illinois. Found this forum by accident actually! Looks interesting so I thought I would join. :)

Here are my websites... www.alwphotography.com this is my portrait website and www.audreywoulard.com this 2nd website is for my work I do for Ford Models....I photograph the children and teen division...and the occasional adult if they beg me! :)

Look forward to getting to know you all.

~A

Welcome to Dgrin, I am still new here also. I liked your work on your websites, and hope to see more here. You already being a photographer so be a welcome addition here.

Make sure you check the whipping post heheh
    1iBandit
    "Take what is given, and steal the rest."
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2006
    great stuff! normally i dont click links to see pictures, i'm lazy. why don't you show some in your post.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited January 7, 2006
    A Big DGrin Welcome wave.gif to you Audrey. Looked at your work - great stuff! thumb.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • macaddictmacaddict Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2006
    Your site is fantastic - love the design. My wife and I were awed with the great shots!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2006
    darluow wrote:
    Hi,

I am a children's photographer here in Illinois. Found this forum by accident actually! Looks interesting so I thought I would join. :)

Here are my websites... www.alwphotography.com this is my portrait website and www.audreywoulard.com this 2nd website is for my work I do for Ford Models....I photograph the children and teen division...and the occasional adult if they beg me! :)

Look forward to getting to know you all.

~A
    Welcome, Audrey! Very nice work, you do... I spent some time on your site. clap.gif

Glad you found us!
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2006
    Wow. That's some right good work you got there. Fantastic. I reckon we could use you around here. clap.gifthumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    You've got some incredible work. I love your portraits! Welcome to the site, I hope we'll be seeing some more shots from you. thumb.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    Wow!

Am I ever pleased to see you here. :)
  • SigalSigal Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    Welcome
    Very nice photos you have on your site.

I'm new here too, and new to photography.

I have been asked from some people to take their kids photos.

I'm building my own studio now in my gagrage and going to try some kids photos there.

Any tips?

Thanks,
    Sigal
  • livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    wow.
    laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    Hi Audrey wave.gif welcome welcome.. lovely work.. looking forward to seeing more of your stuff.
  • MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    Welcome!
    You really enjoy it here. I definitely can relate to your site. My favorite subjects are my own kids.
  • OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    Very awsome website. Beautiful design with excellent simplicity and ease of use.

Oh yeah, you take great photos too. :D

Hope you enjoy Dgrin...it's a great place for....just about anything photography!
    Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
    www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
    Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]
  • JnicholsJnichols Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    I'll second the wow! Amazing work - I hope to see much more from you. You will be a great asset to this community!clap.gif
  • darluowdarluow Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    -delete-
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 8, 2006
    Audrey-

absolutely gorgeous photos--

george
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    Audrey,

Calling your site impressive wouldn't do it justice. Very, very nice. Whenever I think I've done a nice shot of my grandaughter, I'll just go to your site and be humbled!

Teach us lessons!
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    darluow wrote:
    Sigal,

I don't have any real advice....since I only shoot on location. I think the best advice I could give anyone who wants to shoot kids is to be a kid yourself! :):

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone. I hopefully will post some work soon! Usually January is a bit slower, but so far it hasn't been!

~A

When shooting on location, are you using an off-camera strobe with a softbox? There's a specific style that keeps showing up time and time again in your shots, and I was wondering how you achieve it.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
    edited January 8, 2006
    -delete-
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    darluow wrote:
    I shoot with all natural light. Give me a window and I am in love! iloveyou.gif

Its all about the light!

what about reflectors?
    edited January 8, 2006
    -delete-
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    Audrey,
    Welcome to the site. Your child portraits are truly inspirational! Superb use of lighting combined with excellent poses with comfortable subjects.
    Please stay around here and help some of us clumsy child portraitists improve!
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    Welcome to dgrin! Your work is stunning. thumb.gif Do you do any special work in post or do you take things as they come out of the camera?
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
    edited January 8, 2006
    darluow wrote:
    Oh heavens no (too cumbersome for my style of shooting)! I shoot with all natural light. Give me a window and I am in love! iloveyou.gif

So I am known for taking pictures in bathrooms if that is where the best light is....like I did with this one. (one of my favorite bathroom images...)

Its all about the light!

Thanks again all!

~A

... oookay... so what's your trick for getting such even exposures on their faces?

Makeup?

Photoshop?

An arrangement with God and Mother Nature?
    - Scott
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    ... oookay... so what's your trick for getting such even exposures on their faces?

Makeup?

Photoshop?

An arrangement with God and Mother Nature?

Talent? rolleyes1.gif
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    Owen wrote:
    Talent? rolleyes1.gif

What is this you speak of? Will it help me get pictures like hers? Where can I find one? rolleyes1.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
    edited January 8, 2006
    Owen wrote:
    Talent? rolleyes1.gif

BINGO! :)

I would never use makeup on a child!!!

edited to add...

I honestly think it is easier to nail exposure using natural lighting. I shoot in manual mode, so I set my camera's settings per the lighting conditions....I find it easier to nail exposure with digital rather than film because I can cheat and take a test shot and look on my LCD!
    edited January 9, 2006
    darluow wrote:
    BINGO! :)

I would never use makeup on a child!!!
    Bah! That's not what I meant! rolleyes1.gif... [as in, i meant no insult to your talent, I naturally *assumed* that from seeing your shots.]

But seriously. What's your technique for getting the light like that? I have issues when i'm shooting outdoor headshots when i'm not using a reflector to get the fill just right.

What times of day do you tend to try to shoot in?
    - Scott
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
    edited January 9, 2006
    darluow wrote:

I honestly think it is easier to nail exposure using natural lighting. I shoot in manual mode, so I set my camera's settings per the lighting conditions....I find it easier to nail exposure with digital rather than film because I can cheat and take a test shot and look on my LCD!

I agree completely. I hate shooting with flash. Takes me forever to balance the exposures.

I love how we're both editing our posts in tandem/unison/etc...
    - Scott
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    Welcome Audrey!!

Your work is gorgeous. I especially like how your teen shots still look like teens, not adults. It's good to see another person from Illinois also. Hope you stick around, this is a friendly place to be and we can all learn a lot from you.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto