A new generation Ch 55

snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
edited January 9, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
A baby is often used to signify a new year. I managed to get one fairly decent shot of baby and grandpa last weekend. Not the best pose for either of them, but natural non the less.
51475439-L.jpg

#2 how about just the baby?
51475683-L.jpg

#3 in color
51475756-L.jpg

Help me decide. Are any of these good for the theme? New baby, new generation etc.
I know #2 and #3 are a bit soft. There was movement there I guess. The shot was not crisp in either case so I decided to to give it a soft look all over and make the best of it.
The first shot is more crisp, but not the best facial expression for either baby or grandpa. It is a natural unposed shot though.
"A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
Susan Appel Photography My Blog

Comments

• Rufio220Rufio220 Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    I Like the first one best. I'm partial to candid and photojournalism though.

I think If the other 2 were sharper I might Like them more. But If those are the 3 you are choosing from to enter, I would go with 1.

I hope this helps a bit.
    ~Joey
    ~Take it while it's there, cause tomorrow it will be gone~
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    You might as well be in the position I am, with differing opinions, and you have to decide yourself, smile.

I absolutely adore the second shot. I would frame it, give it to the parents, keep a copy in a frame, just everything. I love that shot with the old look and the straight on look of the baby.

I think the first shot is cluttery, not that attractive of the people, my daughter would kill me, I am sure your husband doesn't care if his chin shows. The problem with shots like that, and we all know I like snapshots, but not everyone does, and the problem is discerning photojournalism from snapshots.

Sometimes I can and sometimes I can't tell the difference. I may be wrong, I have been in the past.

But I know what I love, and I love the second shot. I don't know how soft it is, I don't care, I LOVE IT!

you asked for honesty,

ginger

I will get back to you later, I think I am through, I like my shot. I just like it, and I know it is well enough not liked (only Daniel and I seem to like it, and maybe Gina) that it is an exercise in futility. As such, I might as well enter the one I like: and Daniel, of course.

Smile. (I haven't even looked back at the other shots, I was going for a certain lighting which is not that well liked either.)

Good luck, whatever.............you got a darn good baby photo!!!
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    How about New Beginnings, or looking at a New World............can you imagine, to a baby, everything here is new and those eyes are so alert.

Through New Eyes, etc...........

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    I like no. 2 and no. 3. I would like them better if they were sharper. Doesn't look like what you were going for, though.

I would really like no. 1 if the baby looked a little less skeptical. Ah well, you can't have everything.
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    Thanks everyone for your comments. Looks like you all agreed with my gut feeling. I liked the idea of #1, but the baby just didn't cooperate. My husband didn't care that his chin was scrunched up. I thought it was a very caring and thoughtful look.

I tried hard to get a good shot of the baby in #2 and #3, but the baby just wiggles all over when he smiles and I didn't have a tripod. It was just a spur of the moment couple of shots. I think I worked them up the best they could be and they will be nice to keep, but not as sharp as I would have liked.

So, the verdict is I don't really have a challenge worthy shot here. Ahh well, the challenge always makes me think about photography and try things out. This time I mostly learned about getting blurry shots.

I spent some time at the zoo the other day too. Gots lots more blurry shots. Not enough light, camera shake, too much wire between me and the subject. No baby animals.
  • Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    Hi Snappy,

Challenge worthy? Hmmm...I don't know how to figure that one out, but certainly adorable! I also prefer #2 and #3 for pretty much the same reasons as the other folks. I've entered some pics that weren't exactly "challenge worthy" (such as my current entry) just for fun of it. Should I take the challenges more seriously? I don't know...maybe yes, maybe no (but when I try to be more serious about it, my pics never make the finals so I figure it's better to just have fun, Laughing.gif!).

I think the current challenge subject was a tough one for a lot of us (me included!). Now if the theme had been "old", I'd have had no problem with it, Laughing.gif!

Anyhow, I think the challenges are more fun if more folks enter, even if they don't think their pics will be the winner. Your grandchild is so precious...these pics deserve to be posted regardless (but of course the deadline has passed by now...). I hope you'll just take the plunge in the future regardless of the possible outcome, cuz your photos are always delight to see (and I don't often have time to venture through other threads because our young grandson lives with us full time now). If I hadn't ventured this time, I would have missed seeing these wonderful photos altogether!

Wishing you all the Best!
    (and Congrats on the new Grandkid!!!)
    ~Nee :)
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    Nee7x7 wrote:
    Hi Snappy,

Challenge worthy? Hmmm...I don't know how to figure that one out, but certainly adorable! I also prefer #2 and #3 for pretty much the same reasons as the other folks. I've entered some pics that weren't exactly "challenge worthy" (such as my current entry) just for fun of it. Should I take the challenges more seriously? I don't know...maybe yes, maybe no (but when I try to be more serious about it, my pics never make the finals so I figure it's better to just have fun, Laughing.gif!).

I think the current challenge subject was a tough one for a lot of us (me included!). Now if the theme had been "old", I'd have had no problem with it, Laughing.gif!

Anyhow, I think the challenges are more fun if more folks enter, even if they don't think their pics will be the winner. Your grandchild is so precious...these pics deserve to be posted regardless (but of course the deadline has passed by now...). I hope you'll just take the plunge in the future regardless of the possible outcome, cuz your photos are always delight to see (and I don't often have time to venture through other threads because our young grandson lives with us full time now). If I hadn't ventured this time, I would have missed seeing these wonderful photos altogether!

Wishing you all the Best!
    (and Congrats on the new Grandkid!!!)
    ~Nee :)

Thanks nee. I'm so glad you took a look. I entered something. I would have liked to enter a baby pic, but I just didn't think it was the best I could do. Not that my entry was the best either. It was at least more related to the theme. I alway find myself challenged by these challenges. And, they make me take more pictures. I just have not been doing very well with this new camera. I think I did better with my Olympus. I can't get the hang of this one. I get so many blurry shots, bad depth of field, poor lighting. Yuk!