Options

Uploads 90% slower than normal

ian1ian1ian1ian1 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited December 16, 2015 in SmugMug Support
Hello - Recently my uploads to smugmug have been 90% slower than normal. I'm getting speedtest.net results of 120mbps down and 20 up. On smugmug's line quality test I'm getting 120 down and 10 up http://upload.smugmug.com/test/line-quality/

This doesn't sound so bad at 10 up. But in reality (when timing actual time to upload a photo) it's actually about 2mbps up which is terribly slow for us. I used to blaze through the uploads after a job when i was pulling 20 up. Now, what took 1 hour takes 10. And what took 5 hours takes days.

I'm with Comcast and they are not throttling me. I've talked with them and I'm on an unlimited usage plan and they say that since I'm getting full speed on speedtest that it's nothing on their end. I've also been through a series of emails with smug's tech support and they say it's something on my end or with comcast.

Today I just installed an Airport Extreme router hoping that it would fix the problem but no luck.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get this fix as it's a real bottleneck in the business. I have read the smug help page about cutting file sizes down etc but I really want to fix the problem.

Thanks so much,

Ian

Comments

• Options
    edited December 8, 2015
    To put it in perspective - it takes about 45 seconds to upload one 10mb file.
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2015
    As a temp fix I've been using my LTE (cell phone) hotspot. Thank god it's unlimited as I've put through 78 gigs in the past day and a half. Hard to believe that it is uploading 4x faster than my top end cable connection.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited December 16, 2015
    ian1ian1 wrote: »
    As a temp fix I've been using my LTE (cell phone) hotspot. Thank god it's unlimited as I've put through 78 gigs in the past day and a half. Hard to believe that it is uploading 4x faster than my top end cable connection.
    If your cell phone hotspot is faster than your cable connection I would guess there is a problem with the cable connection. With this data is seems that it would be worth another call to your cable provider.

It seems odd to me that there is such a large difference between your download and upload speeds on your cable connection.

--- Denise