Options

Killer pic?

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator
edited January 8, 2006 in Dgrin Forum Support
Hi guys,

I just tried to click on the little "go to new post" icon in the Dgrin Game thread. Here is the link:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=18891

Anyway, three times in a row, this completely wiped out my browser, Firefox 1.5 on Win2k. I killed it and restarted it, but all three times it just pegged the cpu and stayed there.

FYI.

Cheers,

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Hi guys,

I just tried to click on the little "go to new post" icon in the Dgrin Game thread. Here is the link:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=18891

Anyway, three times in a row, this completely wiped out my browser, Firefox 1.5 on Win2k. I killed it and restarted it, but all three times it just pegged the cpu and stayed there.

FYI.

Cheers,

ne_nau.gif Sorry, can't replicate. FF on Mac, Windows XP, or Safari on Mac.
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    tried it on my system, Ie 6.x and Firefox

No problem hereheadscratch.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited January 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Well, I'm glad to hear that. Probably my machine is just in a weird state (I get that way myself sometimes) Don't feel like rebooting right now but I'll check the link again next time I do. Firefox once in a while goes nuts on me, but until now, killing it and restarting it has always cleared the problem.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2006
    The plot thickens...
    Andy wrote:
    OK, I rebooted the machine and was really surprised that the same thing happened again. I poked around a bit and here are a few observations:
    • The problem seems to be unique to the Dgin Game thread. (related to number of posts, maybe--it's a very long thread headscratch.gif) Using the new post icon on other threads works fine
    • Tried it on IE 6. Worked fine when I wasn't logged in to Dgrin, but after I logged in and tried it, the cpu hit the ceiling, IE threw a "script is taking a long time" warning and stopping the script through the IE popup window didn't work. Had to kill the program.
    • Tried clearing the cache in both IE and Firefox, but it made no difference.
    • The problem seems to occur when it is preparing the little thread navigation window at the top of the page.
    ne_nau.gifdunnone_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2006
    One more clue
    I was viewing in hybrid mode when the problem occurred. I switched to linear and it worked fine. When I switched to threaded, the browser hung again. This reinforces my hunch that it is being overwhelmed trying to lay out the navigation hierarchy of this very long thread.

FWIW.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I was viewing in hybrid mode when the problem occurred. I switched to linear and it worked fine. When I switched to threaded, the browser hung again. This reinforces my hunch that it is being overwhelmed trying to lay out the navigation hierarchy of this very long thread.

FWIW.

ne_nau.gif I switched modes, no problem.. back/forth...

In You! Your User Control Panel>Edit options, how many posts per page are you set for? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    ne_nau.gif I switched modes, no problem.. back/forth...

In You! Your User Control Panel>Edit options, how many posts per page are you set for? ear.gif

Forum default.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Forum default.

So sorry, Richard - I still cannot replicate ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    So sorry, Richard - I still cannot replicate ne_nau.gif