Options

>>> challenge 21 "after sundown" questions, tips, comments <<

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited September 6, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
here's the place to ask your questions and share your tips about "shooting after sundown."

challenge 21 is about shooting "after sundown" so take an afternoon nap, folks, and get out there at the end of the day :D if you are doing a night landscape or cityscape, get in position 45 minutes before sunset. you might get a good sunset - and turn around, you'll be surprised at what that fading light does to the scene behind you. i find, some of the best light for scenics & landscapes is the 30-45 minutes right after the sun goes down. you can get some great blue sky and sometimes a lovely gradient, from pink at the horizon to blue way up high.

n.b.: as this challenge is for "after dark," photos of sunsets or sunrises will not be allowed. i will allow, however, photos taken of any scene opposite the sunset, or sunrise, where you are capturing some sweet fading light at the end of the day or breaking at the beginning of a new day - see the photo of the thames river barrier below for an example. so, for our purposes, "after dark" means that time when the sun is just disappearing behind the horizon in the west, until the sun just comes up in the east.

why no sunsets or sunrises? well, we've all taken them, plenty of times, so get out there and challenge yourself to do something new and different.

here are some shooting tips for "after dark"
  • shoot with a tripod and remote shutter release
  • carefully watch your histogram to avoid blown highlights
  • a good starting point after the sun is down is f/4 and 4 seconds, lowest iso
  • shoot in raw if you have it, the night lighting is challenging for white balance
  • bring a flashlight so you can easily see the controls on your camera
  • experiment with neutral density filters to slow your shutter speed, this can have a dramatic effect on carnival rides, automobile lights, star trails, and water of any kind

post processing takes a bit more time for night work. for digicams, plan on doing some noise reduction for skies and water. for all shooters, take a look at my nightshot post-processing tutorial

Comments

• Options
    edited September 6, 2004
    would somebody email humungus?
    he wanted "in the dark" as a challenge theme :)

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=15445&postcount=49
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2004
    andy wrote:
    he wanted "in the dark" as a challenge theme :)

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=15445&postcount=49

I did.. I emailed him a week ago as well but no answer..:cry
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2004
    Distractions, light distractions????
    These bar lights are distrations? Part of the scene? Bad, good, ?????

7866847-M.jpg

7866858-M.jpg

Please, Andy, it is time for me to know this stuff now, and know it well. I shot this for the last challenge, it was not popular and the subject of the beer advertisement lights being a distraction was raised. Since I thought lights were a part of the night scene, hopefully, smile, unless a big gaping hole of white, I was/am confused.

Could you please speak to the subject of the use/and avoidance of lights in night photography, please.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2004
    ginger's lights
    lights are okay imo, for certain scenes. i think what needs doing in your examples is to tone the lights down, make them a secondary player instead of top billing.

ginger_55 wrote:
    These bar lights are distrations? Part of the scene? Bad, good, ?????

7866847-S.jpg

7866858-S.jpg

Please, Andy, it is time for me to know this stuff now, and know it well. I shot this for the last challenge, it was not popular and the subject of the beer advertisement lights being a distraction was raised. Since I thought lights were a part of the night scene, hopefully, smile, unless a big gaping hole of white, I was/am confused.

Could you please speak to the subject of the use/and avoidance of lights in night photography, please.

ginger
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2004
    In PS or before.......
    Andy, in toning down, are you talking in PS or at the time of exposure?

In this case, the exposure for one, the girls, just happened to be right for the lights to play, too.???

So are you talking about afterwards toning them down? PS? I know you have a tutorial, I have read and re read it, but I still have these niggling questions.

ginger
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2004
    I tried this in PS with the bar girls.???? Days ago, not now, but is this the type of thing you mean?

8188953-S.jpg

ginger
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Andy, in toning down, are you talking in PS or at the time of exposure?

In this case, the exposure for one, the girls, just happened to be right for the lights to play, too.???

So are you talking about afterwards toning them down? PS? I know you have a tutorial, I have read and re read it, but I still have these niggling questions.

ginger
    Maybe he means exposure compensation down.. I'm hoping so.. thats what I was going to do and DID on my jetty shot. I'm still not sure which is up or down.. I'm assuming that towards - is "down"? 11doh.gif but sometimes with me things get back to front.. :D
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Maybe he means exposure compensation down.. I'm hoping so.. thats what I was going to do and DID on my jetty shot. I'm still not sure which is up or down.. I'm assuming that towards - is "down"? 11doh.gif but sometimes with me things get back to front.. :D
    Minus is down. You can't selectively put the EC down. I had the EC down to about -1 (that is moved to the left one big line, there is normal, then to the left small lines that are increments, then a big line, that is, in my lingo, -1, then more increments, and a big line at the end that is -2.) I had it below the 1, but moved it up as things were coming in too dark. That is the only advantage to night, if in the right place, you have a nowball's chance of being able to read the little screen.

You could have blown me over with a feather when someone suggested that the lights were a problem............... That is why I am seeking all this info.

I also PMd him with more questions on settings, plus.......... He is probably ready to kill me. Since I have had major disasters, I am leary and want to be prepared before, not after. I have very limited access to certain areas. We have to be home "early", by the decree of my protector rolleyes1.gif in these night spots. I don't have time to make mistakes.

I hand held the bar girls, too, I have hand held everything. The bar the girls were in was lit brighter than a coffee shop, I just don't know what I am going to run into. I do know the Rebel would not fire after dark the other night, I think I have figured out I have to have the lens on manual focus.

The AV and TV, those are bigger problems for me. Post might not be easy, but I am worried now about the shoot. The better we shoot, the easier the post will be, IMO.

ginger (I had my shutter release sent 2 day mail, with the holiday that means tomorrow, I guess. That would be next weekend before I really can use it. I need it tonight.)
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2004
    ginger ...
    i meant for you to tone them down in post.

also, you should consider shooting in raw, then you can get the white balance just the right way. i think these are a bit orangy...

cheers,

andy