Options

How do you handle eyeglass reflection?

TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
edited January 13, 2016 in People
Posted in this forum because it's a common problem when shooting "people"?

How do you handle reflections on eyeglasses - using or not using flash - when
the eyeglass wearer is part of a group?

There are many suggestions on the web, but most seem to recommend tilting
the glasses. That often makes the wearer look odd because the glasses are
not in the normal position.

Some reflections can be taken out in post using Photoshop, but it's often a
major - and less-than-successful - project. The technique of two photos,
one with and one without the glasses, works if the second head is in a
similar enough position to switch heads in post.
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2015
    I am lazy, so I just pose them differently.

Worst case, get one pic glasses on, one pic glasses off, then swap.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2015
    A polarizing filter can eliminate some non-flash reflections.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2015
    In the original B&W Superman Tv series ... Clark Kent's glasses didn't have any lenses ...
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2015
    I'm not sure if any of these responses answer Tony's question guys... Tony, if I am hearing you right, you are asking more about impromptu scenarios where you somewhere and folks say "Hey Tony.. get a group shot of us man!"

If that is the case, then there is not really a fool proof method I know of to tell you.... the lighting will always be different and you may not always have your nice hot-shoe Sun-Pak flash in your pocket to bounce light better... in these cases, find those with glasses in the group and put them in the image with their backs away from the brightest of the lights. Is there anything laying around that somebody else can hold up to the light (without creating any shadow on the group) to cut the glare of the other bright light? With glass faced away from the brightest light and other people surrounding eyeglass wearers the best possible, you may be able to cut the direct glare thus reducing the reflection problem.

In cases where you do have your hot shoe flash, try to bounce your light off the wall/ceiling so as to diffuse it... raise your ISO if necessary, the subsequent light from your bounced flash (as long as the wall/ceiling isn't too far away) should be enough to fill some light on the group and keep the reflected light off the glasses.

I am guessing you don't have studio lights or you would have easily googled the answer to this question by now. These solutions won't work in every instance as you will see... but it's the best you can do on short notice.

I have found the trick of putting glass wearers inside the midst of non glass wearers and their backs to the main light works out more often than not doing so.....

I hope this helps... good luck and happy shooting Tony
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2015
    Wiren wrote: »
    I'm not sure if any of these responses answer Tony's question guys... Tony, if I am hearing you right, you are asking more about impromptu scenarios where you somewhere and folks say "Hey Tony.. get a group shot of us man!" [unquote]

Yes, most of the situations involved are family groups and informal settings.

If that is the case, then there is not really a fool proof method I know of to tell you.... the lighting will always be different and you may not always have your nice hot-shoe Sun-Pak flash in your pocket to bounce light better.. [unquote]

Too bad. I was looking for a "magic bullet". I do use an on-camera tilt/rotate flash and bounce the light when flash is required, but it's daylight and outdoors when the problem is the most acute. It's the reflection off glasses, not flash spots, that cause the problems. Quite often, it's the unposed group where a person with glasses is the one where the problem is most apparant.
    I am guessing you don't have studio lights or you would have easily googled the answer to this question by now. These solutions won't work in every instance as you will see... but it's the best you can do on short notice. [unquote]

My entire lighting equipment package consists of the sun for outdoor photos and an on-camera flash for indoors. No screens, reflectors or any of that because I have no one to hold them.

But, thanks for input.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2015
    Can you bump your ISO up and reverse the flash to reflect off the ceiling at a 45, this at times help if inside. There are new glasses out now that have an anti reflective coating on them that helps 90% but you can't ask them to rush out and get them. If you know in advance that you want to use an image it does help to keep all in position and ask the glass wearer to take their glasses of and paste eyes back in.
  • Options
    OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2015
    In a group shot, if possible, get the diffused flash off the camera and higher than the camera to avoid the reflected light to bounce back into the lens plane. Another way is to have the person with glasses to just tilt their head downward just enough to lose the reflection. Quick and easy.
    Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2015
    If I remember right, in one of Tony Corbell's workshops, he stated that besides tilting the glasses, you can just turn the subject's head slightly to the right or left, or you take a step to your right or left to lose the glare. Hope that helps.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    TinstaflTinstafl Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2015
    I will have them raise the glasses up slightly at the ears and have the lighting so that it does not affect the glasses as much. I could not raise them up as much as I wanted so I turned him a bit so that the reflection was not to the camera. For those with longer hair it is much easier to tilt the glasses a bit.

here is an example

23219044675_5e885a6166_b.jpg_DSC8302.jpg by tinstafl, on Flickr
  • Options
    TinstaflTinstafl Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2015
    I will say it is not the reflection that i hate but the distortion at the sides if they have a strong prescription. I find that harder to eliminate. I have just a touch on the camera right in his glasses.
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2016
    Tinstafl wrote: »
    I will say it is not the reflection that i hate but the distortion at the sides if they have a strong prescription. I find that harder to eliminate. I have just a touch on the camera right in his glasses.

I don't think that there is a fix for what you're talking about. I've had to rebuild that part of the face...to completely remove the effects of distortion caused by lenses. It's a pain, so you should only attempt it, if you're in love with a particular image...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed