Options

End of the line.

ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
edited December 23, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
DSC_6668B-3-XL.jpg
"Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

Comments

• Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2015
    I like it. What I truly appreciate is that you saw this shot. 99% of us would have just walk on by ...
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2015
    Good see, nice conversion... thumb.gif
    Rags
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2015
    Very nice!
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,831 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2015
    Good eye! thumb.gif

Cheers, Sara
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,811 moderator
    edited December 19, 2015
    Leading lines and bounding lines galore, with a simple subject at (mostly) right angles and opposed; brilliant! thumb.gifclap

Additionally, you might try a "Miniature Effect", sometimes called a "Tilt-Shift Effect". It would not be any better than this original, but it would have a different impact on the scene. (No need to be extreme with the effect either.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2015
    Thanks everyone for the very positive feedback on this. It's taken in Roanoke, Va. at the N&W railroad yard...Shaffer's Crossing Locomotive Shop. A place where O. Winston Link created some of his fine work.

Thank you again,

Wayne
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2015
    Really fine shot, Wayne. My eye keeps getting drawn to the dark patch in the upper left. Not much is going on at the top of the photo and you might consider cropping down to eliminate that patch. That would give you an unusual aspect ratio if you care. Fine shot either way.
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,831 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2015
    But if he crops out the upper left then he runs into the danger of having that nice pile of railroad ties way too close to the edge of the picture...
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,925 moderator
    edited December 20, 2015
    I wouldn't crop this one. Besides the possible issue that Sara mentioned, it would cut off some of the two merging tracks that end, which is probably my favorite part of the scene.

Well seen and rendered.
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2015
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Really fine shot, Wayne. My eye keeps getting drawn to the dark patch in the upper left. Not much is going on at the top of the photo and you might consider cropping down to eliminate that patch. That would give you an unusual aspect ratio if you care. Fine shot either way.
    But if he crops out the upper left then he runs into the danger of having that nice pile of railroad ties way too close to the edge of the picture...
    Richard wrote: »
    I wouldn't crop this one. Besides the possible issue that Sara mentioned, it would cut off some of the two merging tracks that end, which is probably my favorite part of the scene.

Well seen and rendered.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I was actually surprised this one got very much attention.

I actually had the same thoughts as Don regarding the small area in the upper left originally. This picture is dramatically cropped down from the actual shot. I ended up having the same concerns as Sara and Richard as to cropping even more of the railway out. Ultimately, I went with the "more railway" option but Don's point is well made. The small area is actually a line of train cars sitting on adjacent track.

Take care,

Wayne

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2015
    Cloning may be the solution rather than cropping. I too not pumped up about the dark patch. Cheers!
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2015
    I defer to the collective wisdom. I'm often wrong. :D
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Cloning may be the solution rather than cropping. I too not pumped up about the dark patch. Cheers!
    Cornflake wrote: »
    I defer to the collective wisdom. I'm often wrong. :D

I thought about the cloning option...Might try it but maybe not! Will continue to procrastinate for now. :D

• Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2015
    It may be that the small really-dark upper left corner is balanced by the larger kinda-dark lower right. And the two together form a frame or bookends for the picture overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2015
    CCoop wrote: »
    It may be that the small really-dark upper left corner is balanced by the larger kinda-dark lower right. And the two together form a frame or bookends for the picture overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might be on to something here, Carter.