Options

BTS: Desktop Cyclorama

BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
edited December 21, 2015 in Technique
Hello DGrinners-

I have been shooting and lurking recently so I wanted to provide some content. (Hopefully I am placing this in the right spot...). A fuller version of this post appears on my blog at http://www.bradfordbenn.com/2015/11/desktop-photoshoot-behind-the-scenes/

I have been working on a way to take "product shots" of some of the collectibles so I can keep track of them plus use them for things like posting my current mood: IMG_8757-S.jpg

I know that there are photographic tools designed specifically for this task. However as I looked at the various solutions I found things that prevented me from being satisfied by the solutions that were available. The key item was that I hadn’t quite determined what I wanted to do yet. I went browsing at Amazon, brick and mortar Calumet Photographic, and Gene’s Camera Store. I still couldn’t figure out which one was going to meet my needs.

I had done some research years ago about building a light box on my own. I had found one on Instructables.com and thought it was pretty close. I had done some experimenting with just using a roll of white craft paper and ambient light with a long exposure and had come up with some pretty decent shots.
i-8RfCGB3-M.jpg
As you can see the color is off and there is some shadowing. However the cyclorama effect does work with just a piece of white paper taped and draped behind it. I purchased a 2 foot by 25 foot roll for testing and it worked really well

When I was building my standing desk and the seated work space, one of the things I thought about was how to use it as a table top photo studio. The vertical standards are metal so I could attach paper with magnet, there are lots of places to attach lights, my mind started going through the options. The first attempt to build a cyclorama and do some shooting, before buying a lightbox, I simply put a piece of paper on the standard using tape and taped the other end to the shelf. I then swung a desk arm lamp over and started doing some shooting.
i-RMNCqWF-M.jpg
These didn’t seem to come out too badly. Better color temperature as I had more practice but there was still too much shadow for my eye.

I tried setting up some off camera flashes with shoot through umbrellas however the spacing physically was just not going to work out.

After searching for a lightbox, I finally decided I could configure the work space to be a tabletop cyclorama with the purchase of a few accessories and perhaps building my own. I sketched up what I wanted.
i-rmtCSfB-m.jpg

I wanted to build the system out of parts that could be reused and retasked easily not just made to be a lightbox and then no longer available. I came up with the following idea, two systems of a clamp to hold a small pivoting arm with a bolt/stud on it to attach the flash’s cold shoes to. I will tell you that there are times trying to purchase these things off the Internet is too complicated. Off to Calumet to try out the idea and build the idea. I took all sorts of items out of boxes and just started mixing and matching studio clamps and adjustable heads. I came up with a solution that would work and was under budget. I then figured to make it three sets as that way I could also mount a camera easily without a tripod at times. I ended up purchasing the following:

3 – Calumet MF6822 Studio Clip Clamp
3 – Calumet MF6817 Adjustable Head With Support Platform

I also was not able to find any small soft boxes in the store, so I thought about making my own, however after a quick Amazon search I found a six inch by nine inch soft box for less than I could build my own for. I was all set, time to build up the system. As you can see it truly was tabletop based and ready to be overrun by bobbles.
i-GrZGrTX-M.jpg
I am happy with the results of the shoot as well
A

Hope this information is helpful to someone else. Any questions feel free to ask.
-=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact