Options

NY Times Year in pictures from 2015

ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
edited December 27, 2015 in Street and Documentary
"Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited December 27, 2015
    Lot's of pain and suffering, but I suppose that shouldn't come as a surprise. The one that most caught my attention was the nurse with the IR thermometer. If it weren't for the caption, I would have assumed it was a gun. The power of images.

Thanks for the link thumb.gif.
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2015
    Richard wrote: »
    Lot's of pain and suffering, but I suppose that shouldn't come as a surprise. The one that most caught my attention was the nurse with the IR thermometer. If it weren't for the caption, I would have assumed it was a gun. The power of images.

Thanks for the link thumb.gif.

Richard...I thought the same thing. My mind flashed back to the famous pic of the Viet Cong soldier being executed on an open street by a South Vietnamese officer with a pistol to his head.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2015
    Really good stuff... lots of grief but all engaging

A great primer for photogs to develop an eye for the frame

Some brought personal associations to me....

Stirred anticipation for Bahtapur, Nepal; was there 3 yrs ago, going back in May 2016 to shoot earthquake damage (along with Tibet & Bhutan)

The Vegas rodeo (Dec) reminded me of when I shot there.. The guys all had cowboy hats on INDOORS.... Had to shoot between them - a real pain...

Thanks for posting the link... really enjoyed it
    Rags
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited December 27, 2015
    Provocative article by Tim Parks about art--including photography--and violence (Warning: contains poetry). Are we part of the problem? headscratch.gif Sometimes images mobilize people, as the image of the drowned Syrian child did this year. But, as Parks comments about Picasso's Guernica,
    the painting is now more famous than the bombing it depicts and deplores, perhaps because it allows us to feel that being sophisticated and pacifist is one and the same. Which is gratifying. But there is no evidence it stopped any bombs.
    OK, Dgrin might not be the best place to discuss these issues, but anyone doing photo journalism should probably give it some thought.