Options

Object

JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
edited January 6, 2016 in Other Cool Shots
cz_2014_0024-24-X2.jpg

Here is my homework... OK i'm not bored anymore!

cz_2014_0003-3-2-X2.jpg

This one was way harder to light and in addition, countless dust spots that were not visible in the first shot came out. Good exercise. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,831 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2016
    I like that!

Cheers, Sara
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2016
    Thanks Sara. I love this piece and I think the photo conveys it's beauty, I like the blue reflections on the swirls.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2016
    I would like to see it with completely dark background but the piece some how lit up!
    Cheers m8!
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    I would like to see it with completely dark background but the piece some how lit up!

Agree 50% :)

Taking decent pics of glassware is all about edge definition and controlling reflections -according to 'Light Science and Magic'.

After the (relatively few) trials with the material that I've had, I couldn't agree more with the authors.

Using either the Darkfield approach - as per S's suggestion, or the Brightfield one are likely to produce results worthy of the effort required.

Imo, I think your object deserves it.

pp
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2016
    Like!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited January 5, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Cheers m8!

Taking decent pics of glassware is all about edge definition and controlling reflections -according to 'Light Science and Magic'.

After the (relatively few) trials with the material that I've had, I couldn't agree more with the authors.

Using either the Darkfield approach - as per S's suggestion, or the Brightfield one are likely to produce results worthy of the effort required.

pp

Thanks for the comments. I will try a black background, I think it will be a good challenge to light well.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2016

pp

Thanks for dropping the knowledge PP!

Cristobal, get to work!:D
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2016
    M38A1 and I each entered examples using the methods I mentioned in this recent challenge - which will give some sort of idea of the differences.

M's is a far better example than mine - for many reasons ... but using plastic 'pop' bottles doesn't help either :)

pp

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=255972&page=2
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2016
    I added the black background version next to the original pic. This was a very good suggestion and a way more challenging shot that I could not get to a point where I was satisfied with it. I tried top light, side, back, had to increase blacks and shadows and then dodge the vase... Then on the dark background all the scratches and dust specs became very visible. I eliminated most but not all. Hard work. Thanks for the suggestion!!
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2016
    Juano wrote: »
    I added the black background version next to the original pic. This was a very good suggestion and a way more challenging shot that I could not get to a point where I was satisfied with it. I tried top light, side, back, had to increase blacks and shadows and then dodge the vase... Then on the dark background all the scratches and dust specs became very visible. I eliminated most but not all. Hard work. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Dark Knight Rises! Bravo!clap.giflustbowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2016
    Juano wrote: »
    Hard work ..

I can imagine ... interesting result tho' .

A couple of things pop out to me.

In both pics there's a central area in the upper blue part which is darker than the rest (of the blue) .. presumably having light blocked (from its rear?) via the rear blue region of the object ... and thus you're losing some definition of the texture here (better in No 2, tho) ...which is obviously in a very prominent part of the pic.

I'm wondering what the effect of getting light (only) inside the object to illuminate the rear of this front panel would be ... possibly with something like a small, bendy led light?
    Controlling light sources to avoid coverage / spill into unwanted areas seems to be particularly important with glass.

I also wonder where the 2 'eyes' / highlights on the front are coming from ... and whether a more diffused (single?) source would look better?

In the book I mentioned, one of the tricks / methods employed to add light in a way that helped define shape etc was to illuminate a diffuser panel ...and even place black tape on this panel to simulate a window frame, to give the impression that light was coming thru a window.

pp
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2016
    I noticed the two "eyes" as well. I updated the original post with a toned down version. Thanks for the comments and info.