Bouldering at Castle Hill

mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
edited January 10, 2006 in Sports
All taken during a two week holiday in December, bouldering on a limestone outcrop about 1 and a half hours drive inland from Christchurch in New Zealand.

probably my favourite shot from the trip
48729634-M.jpg

48727475-M.jpg

The walk in was always such a struggle(not)

48749591-M.jpg

Just out of reach!
48786359-M.jpg

I love the consentration in his eyes and the chalk dust in the air
48795623-M.jpg

Its never too late to try a problem
48812483-M.jpg

48881455-M.jpg

If i stare at it maybe it'll feel better
49024059-M.jpg

Cheers for looking, feel free to comment.
This area is well worth a visit if you're into this sort of thing with about 2000 problems to try at all levels.
the rest of the gallery is here http://mushy.smugmug.com/gallery/1052165/1
May I take your picture?

Comments

• Michael AllenMichael Allen Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    Nice series, I really like how you captured the emotion in the climbers.
    -Mike
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    I like the last one
    If i stare at it maybe it'll feel better
    49024059-Th.jpg

Because of the chalk on the hand it shows that there's a serious climber and not some ordinary spur of the moment attempt to scale some rocks. I like the exposure on this one the best as well as the composition.
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    Okay Mushy, now you've crossed a line. I don't want to see pictures of you climbing at Castle Hill. It's bad enough that my friend James (also a climber) just moved back home in NZ, to within an hour and a half of the place. :cry:cry:cry

*sniff* :cry:cry:cry

That's my next trip though... I have to make it there and spend a few weeks on those rocks before I get old and tied down. That place looks like the best bouldering on the planet.

And on a serious note, I love your pics. :D Especially the first one and the silhouette. Looks like an incredible time, and I guess I can't complain a whole lot. While it takes me something like three grand to get THERE, I can get to Yosemite with literally just a few dollars and my mileage plan.

So why haven't I DONE that??? headscratch.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited January 8, 2006
    I love the concentration in the first shot. Nicely exposed too. My second
    favorite is the walk in--crash pads, the trail and the boulders in the distance
    tell a story of what's to come.

Hey CC, you should come down to the valley. Was up not too long ago and
    you'd think it was spring given the amount of water coming down the falls :)

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    thanks all for the positive comments, it was a great trip and an amazing place to hang out at and take photo's.
    May I take your picture?
  • digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    mushy wrote:
    thanks all for the positive comments, it was a great trip and an amazing place to hang out at and take photo's.

I could care less about bouldering and climbing over rocks and dangling in the air......especially since I'm a coward when it comes to such thing, but I really enjoyed looking at those pics. For a minute there, I could even pretend to know what it feels like from the expressions. But that silhouette shot could be a poster. thumb.gif
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2006
    cool series
    I think I agree w/ some of the others - the 1st one just really grabbed me and pulled me in to keep looking. It's like she doesn't even know you're there. The silhouette shot is also right up there. clap.gif
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)