Fence series....C&C please

ShannonWShannonW Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
edited January 11, 2006 in Holy Macro
Hey All....

I have decided to do a fence series I took this today along with many others but I liked this one the best. I have posted the color and black and white. Feedback good or bad would be great. I am thinking after I have a good series I want to hang them in a local coffee shop.

Comments

• ShannonWShannonW Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    MOD EDIT: 2nd Image removed by Andy. Reason: Only one pic in the WP. YOU have to decide what you want US to whip deal.gif. The first step towards improvement is when YOU the photographer can decide which piece you are putting up for critique.
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    Don't fence me in?
    ShannonW wrote:
    Hey All....

I have decided to do a fence series I took this today along with many others but I liked this one the best. I have posted the color and black and white. Feedback good or bad would be great. I am thinking after I have a good series I want to hang them in a local coffee shop.

I'm not sure what to say about this one. It's nicely in focus, properly lit, but just confuses me a little as to what the "subject" is. Is it the lock, the field beyond, the chain?

I think, for me, because there's no apparent subject (that I see) it just doesn't "speak" to me.

I do think fences would be a great idea for a series though!
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    I like this shot.
    It is well composed with the different elements filling the frame nicely.
    I also like the different textures of the wood, barbed wire, and metal fence.

Perhaps just a little more contrast would be nice. How did you process this one?
  • RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    While this is not something that I would put on my wall, I think this image portrays its subject well. The instant I saw this I felt like I was locked out of whatever is behind the fence.

thumb.gif
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    Rohirrim wrote:
    While this is not something that I would put on my wall, I think this image portrays its subject well. The instant I saw this I felt like I was locked out of whatever is behind the fence.

thumb.gif

I agree with Steve and since you are in a area where you have such fences seems it would suit a coffee shop in that area well.
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    I would love to see the color version. I love pics of old rusty things. You shoudl check out fellow Dgrinner Dkapp's work.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    Actually, I like it!

I like the selective focus and the composition!

I can see it in a coffee shop in an area with fences like that. Very nicely!

I think this will be a very interesting series and look fwd to seeing more, smile.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • JCDossJCDoss Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    This photo would beat the pants off anything that's presently hanging in the coffee shop I frequent. That said, I'm just not too wild about this photo. Perhaps a closer-in shot of the redundant locks would work more. I'm also not too keen on the long, vertical format.
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    I like the contrast between the wood and the metal, the rough and the smooth. The subject draws me in and makes me think about those locks and why they might be there.
    I think I would like to see a little more of the wood and wire maybe a little more of both in a horizontal composition. I think it could use a bit more contrast.

Oh, and.... this is in "Other cool Shots" not the Whipping Post, so I'd like to see the other shot here. We could critique them both and compare.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
    edited January 9, 2006
    Thanks to all!

4labs..thanks I am going to post the color picture under cool shots again and call it color fence. I hope that's OK with he MOD's...ne_nau.gif

Ginger..Glad you like it...better than the orchid eh? rolleyes1.gif

JCDoss I do have close ups but, It's all about the fence....although those locks are great! Had to do some close ups of those. I also did get some horizontal shots too. I did debate for a while on what I liked best. Hmmm... Maybe I should get a smugmug account so I can share all of them if people wanna take a look.

Snapapple and Rohirrim I am so glad you got that feeling.That's what I was going for.

Rohirrim I like your avatar did you take that picture? A friend of mine trains horses and she would love that picture.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2006
    Hi Shannon
    ShannonW wrote:
    Hey All....

I like your fence and the lock on it ...... has that country look about it, not so much that KEEP OUT sort of look, but that Dont Forget To Shut The Gate kinda look about it....... wide open spaces beyond this gate :D

Nice shot....... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2006
    ShannonW wrote:
    Rohirrim I like your avatar did you take that picture? A friend of mine trains horses and she would love that picture.

Yep, thats a shot of my horse Dutch,

Heres the original

4987657-M.jpg
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited January 11, 2006
    Shannon I really like this shot. Exposure and composition are really nice. The varying textures are interesting as is the "tension" created by the post leaning out of frame apparently "pulling" on that one lock that has popped its butt up in the air. :D

I also saw your color version and much prefer this b/w. thumb.gif
    edited January 11, 2006
    Thanks Skippy!

Steve your horse is beautiful! I need to get out and go take pictures of my friend riding. I like how you Photo shopped the picture.

Thanks Angelo!