Options

Lonely Winter

bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
edited January 29, 2016 in Landscapes
A few from my photo safari last week around Helena, Montana. Found a few objects nicely isolated from their surrounds. Thanks for looking!

i-KghqDrr-X2.jpg

i-snNrgbx-X2.jpg

i-ZmZqtCL-X2.jpg

i-CRFX37z-X2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 15, 2016
    #1 is about as minimal as it gets. One can imagine the tourist board's poster, "Montana: Get away from it all" lol3.gif

My favorite is #4. It leaves you wondering what those shadows are from (if that's what they are, dunno). Very nice.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 15, 2016
    Richard wrote: »
    #1 is about as minimal as it gets. One can imagine the tourist board's poster, "Montana: Get away from it all" lol3.gif
    rolleyes1.gif

My first reaction was that it's brilliant. Then I noticed that the horizon and hence the pole were tilted and I thought, "you had one job to do...." :D

Really a delightful and slightly quirky set. thumb.gif
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2016
    IMO #3 is strongest.....if mine, I would remove 1.5 inches from top....and work extra hard to get rid of footprints.
    Cheers!
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,834 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2016
    I really lilke this set - great feelings of loneliness. I don't agree with Taz about the footprints in #3 - I like the mystery of "who was here, where has that person gone?", but I agree with his suggestion about the crop.

Just being nit-picky: in #2 I'm a little bugged that the crop on the archway is not dead center. And in #4 I wish the snow were less blue.

Thanks for sharing!

CHeers, Sara
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2016
    Love #3! clap.gifclap
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2016
    Three for me! I would consider lessening the hue a bit in the mountains and sky but this is great as is!
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,040 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2016
    Nice set - really speaks to Montana! In #4, I would use the lasso tool, circle that little sapling and use the Content-Aware Fill to remove it. No one would know, except us of course mwink.gif.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2016
    Like #3 as that tree keeps speaking to me. Wonder if you did a severe crop and have the tree more dominant. Maybe a long horizontal.
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2016
    I spend a lot of time in Montana and these are some great Montana winter images.

Definitely #3, great shot thumb.gifthumb. I agree with Anna, I would warm this up just a tad.

#4, the small sapling works for me. I see it as an integral part of the story, the small sapling struggling against the elements, and the large tree, success of survival. Maybe a crop off of the bottom, half way between the two diagonal blue shadows.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2016
    I like these very much. Agree with Joel as to the first.
  • Options
    joe-bobjoe-bob Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2016
    #4 is lonely indeed. Nice set.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2016
    Richard wrote: »

My favorite is #4. It leaves you wondering what those shadows are from (if that's what they are, dunno). Very nice.

Laughing.gif, I'm sure Montana would love that :D

Yep, shadows it was one of those opportunistic moments as I'd been driving in the hills behind Helena, Montana looking for a more 'epic' viewpoint then decided on some minimalism instead.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2016
    kdog wrote: »
    rolleyes1.gif

My first reaction was that it's brilliant. Then I noticed that the horizon and hence the pole were tilted and I thought, "you had one job to do...." :D

Really a delightful and slightly quirky set. thumb.gif

I've been a called a lot of things, but I'll take *almost* being called brilliant for my work rolleyes1.gif Nothing was straight in that scene, I actually wondered about your comment and took another look in LR. Straighten the p;ole and the horizon is off and vice versa. It's perfectly imperfect.

Thanks for the comment!
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    IMO #3 is strongest.....if mine, I would remove 1.5 inches from top....and work extra hard to get rid of footprints.
    Cheers!

Get rid of the footprints?! I'm too lazy for that ;)
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2016
    I really lilke this set - great feelings of loneliness. I don't agree with Taz about the footprints in #3 - I like the mystery of "who was here, where has that person gone?", but I agree with his suggestion about the crop.

Just being nit-picky: in #2 I'm a little bugged that the crop on the archway is not dead center. And in #4 I wish the snow were less blue.

Thanks for sharing!

CHeers, Sara

Thanks for the comments Sara, definitely could've got the crop more centered and I agree I should re-work the blue snow a bit.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2016
    Love #3! clap.gifclap
    Eia wrote: »
    Three for me! I would consider lessening the hue a bit in the mountains and sky but this is great as is!

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2016
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Nice set - really speaks to Montana! In #4, I would use the lasso tool, circle that little sapling and use the Content-Aware Fill to remove it. No one would know, except us of course mwink.gif.

Ahh I like my little sapling.